Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to learn English language
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Afroz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, if something is too easy, it's no fun! Very Happy Yes, learning English (or any other new language) can by quite difficult and time consuming.

To improve listening, I suggest that you listen to the podcasts that I mentioned above. Podcasts for ESL are good because:
1. Certain podcasts are meant for beginners, while others are meant for intermediate and advanced students. You can choose your level. Don't start with something that is too difficult for you.
2. They are made specially for ESL students and, hence, the host of the show speaks very clearly and at an appropriate speed. All new words and phrases are also explained in detail.
3. With some of those podcasts, you can read a part of the script on the website itself so that if you don't understand what is being said, you can still follow along.
Try it out... I think you'll find it quite helpful. Smile

About your writing... well... improving your grammar, unfortunately, isn't as much fun as improving you listening. I think reading books is an excellent way to improve your writing ability (among other things) although it is a very slow process. Reading a lot allows a person to get a "feel" for a language. Once you can "feel" the language well, then you can write good sentences without really understanding the details of the underlying grammar too well. It can also help you write in natural English rather than Chinglish. Wink (Hopefully I haven't confused you by talking about "feel"ing a language.)

Hope all this is of some help!

Afroz.
Afroz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... almost forgot... be careful though about the books that you read. I've seen many books in China which are supposed to help you improve your English. Unfortunately, many of those books themselves have bad or unnatural English.

Afroz.
Buny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Very Happy

I also have a problem with my English. I'm from Russia and my english very poor. I can't find a good way for me so that I can learning english. I also have a problem with english grammar. How to learn new words? How to understand english grammar?
Thank you!
Philo Kevetch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bunny -

Studying is good, but using (practice/produce) what you are learning will help make it part of "your English".

When you learn new words, it's good to write 3 (or more) original sentences using the new words. You can keep a special notebook for new vocabulary and review on a regular basis.

When you learn new grammar rules, also look at a "usage reference" (ie. "English Grammar in Use", by Michael Swan) and write 3 (or more) original sentences using the new grammar. You can keep a special notebook for new grammar and review on a regular basis. :) Philo
Buny

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philo Kevetch wrote:
Hello Bunny -

Studying is good, but using (practice/produce) what you are learning will help make it part of "your English".

When you learn new words, it's good to write 3 (or more) original sentences using the new words. You can keep a special notebook for new vocabulary and review on a regular basis.

When you learn new grammar rules, also look at a "usage reference" (ie. "English Grammar in Use", by Michael Swan) and write 3 (or more) original sentences using the new grammar. You can keep a special notebook for new grammar and review on a regular basis. Smile Philo

Thank you very much! Philo Very Happy
nikks008

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Learning English Reply with quote

Hey you guys, I'm reading a lot of great advice in this discussion.
When it comes to learning a new language it does take practice, practice, practice. Here is what I did while learning Spanish in an English speaking country:
1. I kept a small notepad to write down new verbs (action words in English) and would make examples of the different forms of the word for e.g. The verb 'to be'-
I am
You are
He, She or It is
We are
They are

When I wanted to make a new sentence using a verb I would consult my notepad and choose a verb from there, using the correct Subject / Verb agreement.

2. Keep all sentences simple in your note pad so you will get better at writing, remember you want to love the language and not hate it in the end.

3. I made friends with 2 Spanish natives and they made simple conversation with me to help me learn their language, that was fun, as I made mistakes and was able to correct them while speaking. Remember speaking English is the best practice you'll have because your brain is now actively using what you have learned, and making mistakes and correcting them will take you very far in your learning. If you don't have English natives around, then use the forums here to chat, or use an online messenger to speak to an English person.

I hope these tips help. Let us know how your coming along.
Wink
knd1955

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Best way to learn English language are..... Reply with quote

Helina.Liu wrote:
hello,everyone,Smile
I am a Chinese girl. I think English as a language is very important for every people in the future. Now I am working in an Overseas-funded enterprise. Some Foreigners come in our company at times. In our company some people can speak English fluently and have a bright future. So I want to learn English well, especially oral English. But I don�t know how to learn it. Can you tell me how to do it?

Dear Helina,
I'll tell you the secret about how to learn English , just let me know where do you live , what grade you are? how old are you , I'll answer to you ..
knd
Paggie Kuo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: How to learn English well... Reply with quote

Do you want to learn English well?
Here are some ways and it can help you a lot.
<1>Try to speak or maknig a conversation with a foreigner.
<2>Listen to the English program. Such as:Studio Classroom and Let's Talk in English or you can listen CNN.
<3>Preview and review English vocabulary after class.
<4>Write an English essay several days.
<5>Try to write English diary everyday.
<6>Reading English books or maganzine.
If you can follow these tips, your English ability will improve soon.
Come on...everyone! Very Happy
izalo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: how to learn English language Reply with quote

Helina.Liu wrote:
hello,everyone,Smile
. But I don�t know how to learn it. Can you tell me how to do it?

HI, I am new here... Well, I don't know specifically in what country you are now because you dont mention it, sometimes it matters, however I will give you some tips which could be useful for learning English language... I am learning English too, and I think that I am older than you sometimes I feel frustrated because it is not easy but I don't give up.

Try to listen news by radio or watch TV in English, use the closed captions if you have it.
Read English texts, or magazines, even if don't understand keep with you dictionary bilingual and ask for help to somebody if you don't understand, some people are nice and love to teach specially if you are really interested to learn second language.

Go school, if you can, otherwise, study at home with your own books and remember never give up.

So good luck Very Happy
RedRose

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, you have to love English!! after you take english as your hobby, it's hard for you NOT to touch it EVERYDAY!!! and since you read, write, listen....all in English, it's hard for you NOT to improve your english.
Didy Bear

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philo is a very goood advicer for English learning .I am learning much from his words.Thank you! Smile
anantha krishna

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you attempt to learn a new language, including English, you will start in all seriousness and start equipping yourself with said language. But, to be conversant with a language is to be confident about the language. It is my feeling that, though you understand the language, YOU LACK CONFIDENCE in putting the same to use. So, when one leaves the FEAR and takes courage to CONFIDENTLY use the language, in no time one can be proficient with that new language.

I am open to correction......
waner

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello! I am a English learner too. In my opinion, we could not improve our english in a short time. We have to work hard and insist on only in this way we can improve our English. there are some my advice which is told by my teachers and friends and i hope it could help you a little. First: keep writing everyday! you may write a english diary or some interesting things.Second, listening to English for half an hour every night or morning that is depend on you. Third, when you read some English books ,you should select some useful words and write them down on a special book.
That is my advice and maybe you could try. Wink
carneol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philo Kevetch wrote:
Oops! Typo....that should be "Your job..... not You job. Wink
Sorry, I don't have much time this morning to answer you. I'll post a response on Sat. or Sun. Philo

Hey, I read all your posts and think the best way I can learn English better would be to talk to you Very Happy maybe by emails Question If you think the same you may write to me at my email address [email protected], with my best wishes, Rose
Philo Kevetch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello carneol - Thanks for the kind words.

How did you learn English? What methods have you found to be most helpful? Philo :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: