Site Search:
 
Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

female in China
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
michelleunec



Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 13
Location: Nanjing,China

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: female in China Reply with quote

Women in China enjoy a higher status than women in India. In March 1992, the United Nations decided to hold in the Fourth World Conference on Women (1995) in Beijing, the capital of China. Because of this important meeting, the entire world people pay high attention on the status of Chinese women. In the past, Chinese women experienced great degradation. New China promised that Chinese women would have equal rights with men in all areas, such as political, economic, cultural, social and family life. The government was also given enabling women to become real Chinese citizens, to be the masters of the state and society.
_________________
I love three things
The sun, the moon and you
The sun for the day
The moon for the night
And you forever!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ltp-008



Joined: 09 Apr 2006
Posts: 258

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelleunec wrote:
Quote:
Women in China enjoy a higher status than women in India.


Why did you compare the Chinese women with women in India?Do you really understand the Indian Culture?I don't know much India culture,so I cann't compare the women in China with the women in India.Why don't you compare women in some Africa countries with women in China?If you do,you can conclude that the women in China is happiest women in the world. Rolling Eyes

However,if you compare women in China with women in Europe or in the U.S.how do you feel?

Could I ask you a few questions?

Do the women in China have the right to electe their country's leader?
Do the women in China have the right to freely express their opinions?
Do the women in China have the freedom of religion?
do the women in China have the right to assembly?

But I know women in India have those rights,if you admit those rights enjoyed by women in India,how could you say that the women in China enjoy a higher status than women in India?

I don't mean that women's statue in China hasn't improved a lot through long period of history,I also admit that the capable women in China have more chances to success on their careers.But there are still a lot of things to do to advance women's rights in China like as other countries.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RedRose



Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 2735
Location: GuangZhou, China

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the women in China have the right to electe their country's leader?
Do the women in China have the right to freely express their opinions?
Do the women in China have the freedom of religion?
do the women in China have the right to assembly?


we do, we totally do.

However, sexism exists everywhere even in some advanced countries like US, UK. not in an obvious way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RedRose



Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 2735
Location: GuangZhou, China

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itp-008 wrote:
Do the women in China have the right to electe their country's leader?
Do the women in China have the right to freely express their opinions?
Do the women in China have the freedom of religion?
do the women in China have the right to assembly?
.


we do, we totally do.

However, sexism exists everywhere even in some advanced countries like US, UK. not in an obvious way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ltp-008



Joined: 09 Apr 2006
Posts: 258

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To RedRose:

Has China ever held any elections to elect the president of Poeple 's Rupublic of China ?Has the people of China ever held any elections to elect any governer ?When did you take part in that? You don't have any chance to participate in,how on the earth do you say "you do".Aren't you just publicly telling the lie?

In mainland china ,all media are controlled by the government,you even don't have the rights to access to some oversea media,your government blocks their unhappy contents in the Internet,How dare you say that you have the right to express freely your opinion?you only have the right to praise your dictatorship government.If you publicly say some bad things to your government ,you will be in trouble.

I don"t know what religion you worship,let me ask you :do the Christians in China must worship their beliefs in government -controlled churches?How dare you say you have the freedom of religion?

About the assembly ,you are joking!Do you have the right to assembly?Don't you forget the 1989?You only have the right to assembly in government -organized assembly.If you hold an assembly to oppose your government ,you are probability in prison.Please don't fool yourself any more!


Last edited by ltp-008 on Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RedRose



Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 2735
Location: GuangZhou, China

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ltp-008 wrote:
To RedRose:

Has China ever held any elections to elect the president of Poeple 's Rupublic of China ?Has the people of China ever held any elections to elect any governer ?When did you take part in that? You don't have any chance to participate in,how on the earth do you say "you do".Aren't you just publicly telling the lie?


You are nuts. just see what question you asked first

Quote:
Do the women in China have the right to electe their country's leader?
Do the women in China have the right to freely express their opinions?
Do the women in China have the freedom of religion?
do the women in China have the right to assembly? .


and I told ya, we do. how come you know we don't? how come you know China' government controls the whole election? are you one of Chinese government officers? how much do you read into China's government?? do you think we should totally learn the procedures of some western elections? why? why should we? you wish every grass in the world looked exactly the same. OMG!!! how naive and babyish you are!!!

We have the rights to elect our leader in our own way, do you wanna see? come to China and you will see what you don't wanna see Laughing sorry to let you down. we do. we do have the rights to elect our leaders,; and we have freedom to express our opinions; and we have the rights to keep our own religions.

As for 1989, can I ask which country you are from? your country is perfect at everything???? I don't think so. I won't tell you anything about 1989 until you tell me which country you are from, baby!

baby, take easy!!! you seem very upset about China? do you have some bitter memories with China? don't bring too much your personal emotion into your posts, that would make you a funny and naive person( sorry that I don't know about you sex Laughing female? male? bisexual?? Laughing )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ltp-008



Joined: 09 Apr 2006
Posts: 258

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To RedRose:

Through what you said in this post,you are not qualified to be an educator.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RedRose



Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 2735
Location: GuangZhou, China

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ltp-008 wrote:
To RedRose:

Through what you said in this post,you are not qualified to be an educator.


hahahahhahahahahaha!!!! you make my day!!! meanwhile, you make yourself a perfect fool!! thank you a million!!!

sweetie, it's not you who can tell if I am qualified or not! There is an institution here in China which is far more qualified to identify my qualification as an educator than you are. Laughing sorry to let you down again Laughing I see, you have no argument again, so you have to distract this issue to something else, and I am sorry about your being frustrated.

I hope you feel better after you made your funny comments Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ducky



Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that there's a problem in China that pregnant women who find they're carrying girls will have abortions because men make more money. Is there any truth to that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
beancurdturtle



Joined: 23 Aug 2006
Posts: 1041
Location: Southern California

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedRose wrote:

hahahahhahahahahaha!!!! you make my day!!! meanwhile, you make yourself a perfect fool!! thank you a million!!!

hahaha!

You made my day!

I like your atttude and answers.
_________________
Daniel

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
--Dr. Seuss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ieltsinsider



Joined: 16 May 2006
Posts: 170

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: China! Reply with quote

"Women in China enjoy a higher status than women in India."

What a great start to a thread! If the status of women in Sweden were 2 metres, the status of women in China and India would be about half a metre, with barely a centimetre between them.

Given that Chairman Mao promised women equality 60 years ago, the fact there has been some progress is hardly surprising. Women are equal to men in China under the law, but that does NOT take into account social perceptions. In this regard, women in China are not equal to men.

Women in China DO have the right to vote - but only from lists presented by the Communists and their cronies.

Can they express their views freely? Yes, if it agrees with the Communist Party policy.

Do they have freedom of religion? Yes, if the Communist Party agrees with their choice.

Do they have the right to assembly? Yes, if the Communist Party like what you are demonstrating about.

Red Rose - The Communist Party controls China and the Chinese people closely. Of course they control the elections. They admit it themselves!

Red Rose - You criticise ltp for his post, then race off into an emotional rant. This is the big problem with discussing things with Chinese people. They get all nationalistic and think that saying "Your country isn't perfect either" wins them the argument!

The institution which decides who can be an educator in China is actually not a very good one. The qualifications are: 1. Support the Communist Party view. 2. Get good grades (almost everyone in China gets good grades!). It's not fair to comment on Red Rose's qualifications on the basis of what she has written so far, but believe me, becoming an educator in China is far, far easier than becoming one in a Western country.

In response to Ducky, there are a few cases of that, but it is not as common as widely believed. The one-child policy is only strictly enforced in the cities. In the countryside, if your first child is a girl, you can have another child. Minorites, e.g. Tibetans, are also exempt from the one-child policy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ltp-008



Joined: 09 Apr 2006
Posts: 258

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why I am sick of discussing some issues with a few Chinese is that they sometime are too emotional,narrow-minded and uneducated.Sometimes they like hellcats,they don't peacefully and reasonablly discuss issues .But most Chinese are intelligent and kindness,I have a several Chinese friends who are living in North America,they are very polite and kindnes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RedRose



Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 2735
Location: GuangZhou, China

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: China! Reply with quote

ieltsinsider wrote:
"Women in China enjoy a higher status than women in India."

What a great start to a thread! If the status of women in Sweden were 2 metres, the status of women in China and India would be about half a metre, with barely a centimetre between them.


Actually, I don't totally agree about this saying about "Women in China enjoy a higher status than women in India.", because I don't know about the rights of Indian women that much, so I don't agree with this comparison.

However, why did you measure the rights of women among Chinese women, Indian women and Smeden women so precisely? 2 metres, half a metre Laughing where did you buy this ruler?

ieltsinsider wrote:
but believe me, becoming an educator in China is far, far easier than becoming one in a Western country.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
believe you? why? Aagin, a conclusion came to you without going through your brain, and you even asked us to believe you?

How come you know it's easier to become an educator in China than in other countries? China is a huge country, there is a big population here. the competition of receiving education and living is very fierce here. come here, and you will see how hard it is.

But you know what? mabey your comment makes a little sense, that can explain why you ain't educated Laughing because it's too hard in a Western country, right? that can make you feel better.

yes, sexism exists everywhere, even in some advanced countries. and IMHO, the less sexism a country has, the more advanced it is. Chinese women ain't completely equal to Chinese men, for example, women have fewer chances to find a job than men do. I guess that's because those companies consider that women have to distract their attention from work to household, children, pregnancy, giving birth, etc after they get married. But our law states: women and men are equal. so it's not our law nor our country who makes the discrimination, it's Secular bias. As far as the election thing, women have the same rights like men, men can vote, so can women. you told that the government controls the election, it's about democracy, not about the rights of women.

Referring to the religion thing, In China, we have the freedom of religion, here some people are Muslims, some are Buddhist, some are Christians, how come you told that we didn't? of course China's government wouldn't agree with those evil religions like FaLunGong, who even encourages people to kill themselves or not to see doctors when they are ill! why should our government agree with such evil religions?

and what's wrong with the one-child policy? our population is getting huger and huger, imagine, if we don't take some step to slow down the crazy speed of reproduction, then we each will just be able to stand on the floor by one leg someday! By then maybe you can persuade your president to take on these extra people?

Dear ieltsinsider, we will be appreciate if you can help us out in that case Laughing

My country isn't that democratic, that's true, and I hope the situation will get better in the future. actually, as long as your criticism is constructive and cool, we will be happy to read it and accept it, however, if you even can't keep your brain ordered, then who are you to judge us since your brain is so chaotic? you have to tidy your brain up in the first place.

itp wrote:
why I am sick of discussing some issues with a few Chinese is that they sometime are too emotional,narrow-minded and uneducated.


You are sick of discussing the issue indeed, and you are still here. Laughing the only explanation is that you are still upset, I am sorry about your pain, I wonder why you still feel hurt after so many days, that'd be a good example proving you are not narrow-minded Wink I hope you can recover as soon as possible.

Itp wrote:
I have a several Chinese friends who are living in North America,they are very polite and kindnes.


Nice, then you can stick yourself with them, that way you can learn a lot from them. I am glad that there are still some Chinese from whom you can benefit. Wink Good luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Delia Gao



Joined: 02 May 2006
Posts: 29
Location: China

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why did you compare the Chinese women with women in India?

Because India and China are both developing countries,and they have some common grounds.But actually,I don't agree about the saying about "Women in China enjoy a higher status than women in India",too.
Quote:
Why don't you compare women in some Africa countries with women in China?If you do,you can conclude that the women in China is happiest women in the world

Surprised oh my god~how can you say so?You must be racialism,I guess.
Quote:
However,if you compare women in China with women in Europe or in the U.S.how do you feel?
Wink How do I feel?? I think we chinese can still live a happy life```
Quote:
I heard that there's a problem in China that pregnant women who find they're carrying girls will have abortions because men make more money. Is there any truth to that?

It was true before,and it is still true in some poor villages in China.So terrible!~But at present,most parents in China think that girls and boys are both good.In the future,the traditional notion would be disappear.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ieltsinsider



Joined: 16 May 2006
Posts: 170

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

I would like to point out that Red Rose has proved ltp correct.

Actually, Red Rose, I DID explain why becoming an educator in China is easier than in a Western country - you just decided to ignore that part.

Ah yes, the old "More people equals more competition" argument. RUBBISH!!! The quality of the competitors has far more influence than the number of competitors. Ask anyone who competes.

"Come here and you will see how hard it is." I'm not even going to comment on that.

"you aint educated". I'll bear that in mind.

"it's not our law nor our country who makes the discrimination, it's secular bias." If you read my post, you would notice that I made the point that the law in China does treat men and women equally. The problem is with social attitudes (not secular ones!). It seems you agree with this uneducated foreigner.

Religious freedom in China depends on whether you adhere to the government's strict rules. These rules are far stricter than in Western countries. I wasn't thinking of Falun Gong - I was thinking about Catholicism.

Did I say there was anything wrong with the one-child policy? You have proven ltp correct again!!!

KINDLY READ MY POSTS BEFORE YOU START WRITING ABOUT WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Culture All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2011 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teachers College, Columbia University: Train to Teach English Here or Abroad
SIT
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group