Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean culture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Korean culture Reply with quote

Quote:
Very Happy
Do you know South Korea? I think North Korea is more familiar to people in the world because of the possibility that it might have a nuclear weopon.
Anyway South Koreans bow, bend their waist when they met each other instead of shaking hands as Western people do. I feel that some Western people think it's a bit strange-it seems for Koreans to avoid eye contact, so hide something. However, I keep bowing when I meet western people in Korea, because I want they had better get accustomed to our culture by starting a small one.
Corey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Angie,

It is always good to try to adapt to the culture you are living in. It also makes life easier. Smile

But you also have to understand that foreigners might not understand your culture. It takes a long time, you have to be patient and explain many times.

It took me a long time to learn Latin American culture and I was rude to many people (not on purpose of course).

Regards,

Corey
[url]english.abcingles.net[/url]
Tulip lilian

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Respecting another culture also means understanding it! Reply with quote

My opinion for Angie; Confused
I appreciate your culture about starting a small one! But I wonder if you can't really understand the other culture, how could you respect another culture. Bowing each other shows more respect than shaking hands. Of course, there is less eye-contact when they bow each other. But it maybe
only means the shyness Embarassed of that nation. There is many differences between Asian countries and Western countries. Especially, as a korean, I'm proud of my nation's respecting old people, modest, and so on. But of course, there is more independent spirit in Western countries, right? I think they all have the original reasons, maybe from history, experiences, and so on.
Anyway, I'd like to say respecting another culture not only means saying or doing something, but also means to understand more deeply.
Lilian
Rolling Eyes
Roseray

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious why Korean has the same way as Japanese do to greet people. Both Japanese and Korean bow to each other while meet.
Moreover, I was told that inequality of men and women in Japan and Korea is great. Is it true? Most men in Hong Kong favor Japanese and Korean women.
In Hong Kong, we usually say hi to friends or shake hands for someone whom we do not know well to show courtesy. We seldom hugs others as the westerners do.
Corey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think history affects customs. It may be that Japan and Korea had cultural links in the past (through trade or war or whatever). Hong Kong may be slightly different because of the British presence.

It is similar in the west. I suspect everyone shakes hands because of similar cultural roots (empires, wars, trade).

Take care,

Corey
Monmon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, everyone!
I like the triditional dress of korea very mucch and a special kind of hair women wear only in happy occasion. Very Happy
there's a minority in north-east China which is called korean race ( I don't know how to say it in English, forgive me).
those people speak korean and have all the triditions which is exactly the same to the korean people. Wink
and I like the sassy girl in the movie. korean women are not like that, right?
I've never been to korea, but my mom did. she thinks korean girls are all very pretty. Laughing
cktmhj

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: The seat for senior citizens Reply with quote

Hi, everyone!
I would like to introduce you about the seat for senior citizens in Korea.
There are some seats for old men and women, or physically handicapped person.
We concede these seats for them.
I'd like to know about other countries.
danbloom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: danbloom Reply with quote

danbloom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have written a new global book for a world audience in 25 languages, and it has already been published in Taiwan by Life Potential Publications (October 2003). I am very interested in knowing if you think KOREAN readers would like this kind of book. And can you help me translate it into Korean from English or Chinese? Thanks.

You can read about it in Chinese at www.tgblife.com.tw and in ENglish at http://www.taiwanho.com/people/dan/index3.htm

If anybody around the world would like to help me bring this book, these two new books, into Korean and Japanese and other languages, please contact me at: [email protected]

It is a book for adults, ages 15-45, global readership. If anyone would like a free copy, mailed by airmail, email me. I planned this as a 25-country book, global readership, reaching out around the world. The current book is in an ENGLISH/cHINESE bilingual format. Other editions elsewhere will be ENglish/YourLanguage format
Mauricio Fernando Sosol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[size=24]hello, my name is Mauricio , My from is Mexico, and to my a very interesting culture is done to me, this region little is mentioned but I that he is one of paises with a structure economicas more important of Asia, cradle in the manufacture of electrics apparatuses [/size]
chrisk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I have only visited on foreign country and have stayed there for a year, and that country is South Korea. The one thing that fascinates me about Korea are how the people are comfortable with foreigners. In America most people are very uncomfortable when they meet a foreigner who speaks little to no english. Koreans seem natural with these meetings helping the foreigner feel more comfortable. When I get into cabs, the cabs drivers are usually very polite and even try to speak english or teach me Korean. Koreans are also VERY social and love to invite foreigners to dinner or to bars. Albiet, they are not very patience, it seems so odd and perplexing how a culture can be so patient with foreigners and accepting and compassionate and yet so annoyed and impatient with everything else. Wink

I have a thirst to meet more people in different cultures. I have met people from the Phillipines, Indonesia (sp), New Zealand, Australia, etc, and am simply innamoured with these individuals. There are some cultures where I am wary to approach simply because I am afraid my presence will not be accepted and this saddens me to no end. For example, there are muslims and Arabs in South Korea I would love to meet, but that last time I tried to meet them I was given rather mean looks.
GAZE1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to go to South Korea!
pauline

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: i like south korea so much.it's really an interesting countr Reply with quote

Very Happy anyone who can tell me more about this country?i love their movies!and i really want to learn its language.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Culture All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: