Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Global Warming
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your view on Global Warming?
What the scientists say is true-- global warming IS happening, it IS our fault, and it needs to be stopped
76%
 76%  [ 10 ]
The world is warming due to human fossil-fuel burning, but the media is exagerating it a LOT
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The world is just warming due to it's natural warm-cool cycles
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
The world isn't warming at all
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Global warming is true, but I don't see why I (or my country) should care
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

flying_pig319

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Global Warming Reply with quote

Global Warming!
Everyone's favorite world-wide disaster Wink

What's your take?
BourneNOIR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question FP... Yes, the climate is definitely getting weirder and weirder and is becoming warmer. It might have something to do with global warming, and global warming has something to do with CO2 emissions.

However, I'm just wondering if it's just me or is the infrared radiation (aka Heat) from the sun getting just a tad stronger. I mean, I don't see scientists mentioning anything about it but I can no longer stand being outside in direct sunlight anymore. I know we're not getting closer to the sun (or we'd fall out of orbit in a collision course with the sun due to laws of physics), but I remember seeing an article that says the sun is getting larger and hotter... Does anyone else experience this?

I remember playing outside in the summer years ago. The weather was hot (in the 90s F), but it's like baking hot - only the air is hot. Now, when I'm in the car my arm burns a little in the sunlight. I actually have to roll up the window to reduce the burning sensation since the window is tinted. It's no longer baking hot... it's now Broiling... Confused Could the sun's changing intensity contributing to global warming?
BourneNOIR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BourneNOIR wrote:
I mean, I don't see scientists mentioning anything about it but I can no longer stand being outside in direct sunlight anymore.

Hmm, maybe I'm becoming a vampire... call me Angel Laughing
Outofin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer is, Earth really should be warmer. The place I live is too cold. And sea level should be higher, to sink those port cities I dislike. Twisted Evil

Don't worry about animals. They adapt and evolve.
RedRose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the south China, it's very hot here, I wonder how hot it will be if the global warming comes true?

I'd better not think about it. otherwise my personality will change from optimist to pessimist.
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BourneNOIR wrote:
BourneNOIR wrote:
I mean, I don't see scientists mentioning anything about it but I can no longer stand being outside in direct sunlight anymore.

Hmm, maybe I'm becoming a vampire... call me Angel Laughing

Ok Angel,

Just don't try to bite me.

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
k.m.m

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true , the earth is suffering from heat , pollotion and warming , I am living in avery very hot place 48,49 degree centigrade ..the heat comes not only from the sun but from cars ,a/c, asphalt and the very dry desert around .No water!!..
Arabian pensualla a couple of thousand years ago "of course before Abraham and Hager and the baby Ishmael trip to Mecca" was very green and full of rivers, many different kinds of big animals " oil come from".

A Chinese proverb say(warns) : �If you do not change direction, you will end up of Arabic land and irrigation water" I don't know where is that water????

take care..

KMM
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outofin wrote:
My answer is, Earth really should be warmer. The place I live is too cold. And sea level should be higher, to sink those port cities I dislike. Twisted Evil

Don't worry about animals. They adapt and evolve.

I'm not sure animals can evolve to live in climates that are changing so rapidly and unnaturally. It's probably not the sort of thing we should count on, or just see what happens.

Have any of you seen An Inconvenient Truth? It's a movie made by Al Gore (who "lost" the presidency to Bush) about global warming-- it's really great. I'm not sure if it's playing where you all live though (but it IS playing where you live, Bean, since we're both in the US). A must-see.
Bob S.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BourneNOIR wrote:
However, I'm just wondering if it's just me or is the infrared radiation (aka Heat) from the sun getting just a tad stronger. I mean, I don't see scientists mentioning anything about it...Could the sun's changing intensity contributing to global warming?
Most likely yes, it does have a contributing factor. The sun has sunspots which are cooler than the surrounding medium, and the sun has sunspot cycles on the order of 11 years. We are currently at a Solar Minimum which means the sun is at its cyclic hottest. It should start cooling again over the next 4 years. Not that it will help much. Long term forecasts for solar activity show a potential decrease in sunspot activity over the next couple decades which means the sun will generally get hotter.
You don't hear much about this from the mainstream media because it doesn't advance the story of how the destruction of the planet is all our fault, the fault of industrialization, progress, capitalism, or whatever.

Now, the sun's Solar Max peaks could ALSO be on a longer cycle time. I don't know. You'd think it would show up in the Hockeystick plot of global historic temperatures (though that data is itself questionable, again you wouldn't hear that in the MSM).

Quote:
I know we're not getting closer to the sun (or we'd fall out of orbit in a collision course with the sun due to laws of physics)

Quite the opposite. As the sun converts its mass to energy, it is losing mass, therefore reducing its gravity. So slowly over time, the Earth will pull away from the sun. By the time the sun swells to a Red Giant, the Earth will be closer to the orbit of Mars (which in turn will be out further still).

Pop quiz!
What's the #1 greenhouse gas in our atmosphere? (Bonus points if you can estimate its % contribution to greenhouse heating.)

flying_pig319 wrote:
Have any of you seen An Inconvenient Truth?
Gah! Pay to see a documentary? Shocked Pul-LEEZ. I'll wait till it's on the National Geographic channel. Laughing
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob S. wrote:
Pop quiz!
What's the #1 greenhouse gas in our atmosphere? (Bonus points if you can estimate its % contribution to greenhouse heating.)

Water vapor!!
I remember reading this and being really surprised (expected it'd be CO2). The percent was something remarkably high-- 95% I think.
Do I win? Wink

Bob S. wrote:
flying_pig319 wrote:
Have any of you seen An Inconvenient Truth?
Gah! Pay to see a documentary? Shocked Pul-LEEZ. I'll wait till it's on the National Geographic channel. Laughing

Heheheh, alright. Be sure to see it at some point, though!!
Bob S.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flying_pig319 wrote:
Bob S. wrote:
Pop quiz!

Water vapor!!
I remember reading this and being really surprised (expected it'd be CO2). The percent was something remarkably high-- 95% I think.
Do I win? Wink
Right you are! You win the kudos noprize.
Yeah, the impact of water vaopr is significant, contributing anywhere from 60% up to 95% to the greenhouse effect (depending on who you ask). Without it, the planet would be much colder. If you ever spent much time in the mountains or desert, you would see how strong this effect is. In a dry climate, daytime temps can be 40+ C and drop to near freezing at night.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob S. wrote:
flying_pig319 wrote:
Bob S. wrote:
Pop quiz!

Water vapor!!
Do I win? Wink
Right you are! You win the kudos noprize.
Yeah, the impact of water vaopr is significant, contributing anywhere from 60% up to 95% to the greenhouse effect (depending on who you ask). Without it, the planet would be much colder. If you ever spent much time in the mountains or desert, you would see how strong this effect is. In a dry climate, daytime temps can be 40+ C and drop to near freezing at night.

So many hidden links- you're so sneaky! (Now I see the reasons behind your avatar) Wink
Yeah, really surprising.
asterix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interesting links, Bob.
I have thought for a long time that this whole global warming panic is not based on good science.
I would be more inclined to believe the so-called weather experts if they could get the local weather correct three days in a row.
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points Bob S.

Trying to prove that "global warming" is caused by man is like trying to prove "God" exists. There's a whole lot of opinion, and even some theory grounded in fact. But the facts can't be objectively, directly to the end result (that global warming is caused by man).

I tend to believe that man has freed enough carbon into the atmosphere to be a contributor to the current climate change cycle - but I've not yet been convinced that man is the cause of global warming. Nor have I been convinced that God (some separate grandfather like being) exists - but that's a whole different issue.

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beancurdturtle wrote:

I tend to believe that man has freed enough carbon into the atmosphere to be a contributor to the current climate change cycle - but I've not yet been convinced that man is the cause of global warming.

Sorry to be dense, but what do you claim the difference is?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: