Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crime in Japan??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Crime in Japan?? Reply with quote

I'm a member on another website that hosts a lot of current Japanese articles in English, and I'm surprised..there's usually something on the front page about family violence (Kids killing parents or parents killing kids), or some kind of perversion related crime (molesters, gropers, peeping toms, even underwear thieves). There's always something concerning people my age, (teenagers)

Does these kinds of things happen this often? Or is it just the media blowing them out of porportion..by that I mean..Is this kind of stuff as common in Japan as they make it out to be..They make it seem that if I walked down the street, I would see those things everyday.

Sorry if anyone finds this offensive or anything, but I wanted to see some other student's opinions on this.
Bob S.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Crime in Japan?? Reply with quote

Oracle wrote:
I'm a member on another website that hosts a lot of current Japanese articles in English, and I'm surprised..there's usually something on the front page about family violence ... Does these kinds of things happen this often? Or is it just the media blowing them out of porportion..
Sorry if anyone finds this offensive or anything, but I wanted to see some other student's opinions on this.
No, it is not common. Japan is one of the safest countries you can imagine. Such crime is so rare, when it does happen, it gets hyped in the media and blown out of proportion. Of course there are some neighborhoods you should avoid like any big city. But I would feel safer walking down Kabukicho at night blindfolded and wads of money hanging out of my pockets than I would in most any American downtown city during the day with a bodyguard.
ayume

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>No, it is not common. Japan is one of the safest countries you can imagine. Such crime is so rare, when it does happen, it gets hyped in the media and blown out of proportion.

yes I think so too.It's kind of rera and when it happens become top news in Japan.

but that kind of crime is increasing more and more each year in Japan. its fact too.

there is some children like they don't know how to tell the thinking to other people especially
so when they got frustration, they have no idea to remove it.

they stack frustratrion in there mind more and more and more......

Its became hate against their family, teacher, friends.

cuz they feel nobody listen his/her opinion. And, they commit the such a unbelievable crime.

I think, It caused lack of communication.

we must listen their cry of mind, and tell them to we love them.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like any country, it probably depends on the location within the country.
Just like with the US, we cannot say an entire country is safe or unsafe-
Manhattan might be unsafe, while Oregonian suburbs might be safe, right?

I think the media DOES tend to exaggerate things, but no one can really say about Japan as a whole.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: