Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sort it out & deal it out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
susan_wu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: sort it out & deal it out Reply with quote

Hello,

There are two phrases:

"sort it out" & "deal it out"

What is the difference? How to use them, especially for use "sort it out"?

Thanks a lot.
bud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sort something out is to try to make sense of something. It's usually something for which there are good but opposing arguments. For example, you might have a job offer where you would have to move to another section of the country. It offers more responsibilty and salary than you could have imagined at this point in your career. Yet if you accept the offer, you know you will miss your freinds and family, and even the things your present location offers. Still... the new location has a climate that you'd much prefer... Yeah, but you worked so hard to decorate your home just the way you wanted it...

Well, you need to take some time to sort it out so that you can make a good decision.

To deal it out could mean different things. Probably the one you want is "to give other people grief or remorse." Ex.: He's a hard man to work for beacause he really deals it out whenever anything goes wrong.

Hope that helps.
advoca

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Deal it out and dish it out Reply with quote

Bud has explained these two phrases very well. But may I add that an alternative to 'deal it out' is 'dish it out."

My teacher was strict. If he had to punish you he would really dish it out.
susan_wu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, bud,

You make me understand the phrase:"sort it out". Very Happy

Thanks, advoca,

You make me understand the phrase:"deal it out" through "dish it out". Laughing

Sometimes I think that the OXFORD make me more confused. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: