Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what do you think of Islam,and what do you think of muslims?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azooz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: what do you think of Islam,and what do you think of muslims? Reply with quote

i always wanted to know what peopl think about Islam and muslims, so can you please tell me your opinion?

Thanks Smile
ad-miral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

victims
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth Noting:

U.S. MUSLIM RELIGIOUS COUNCIL ISSUES FATWA AGAINST TERRORISM
http://www.cair-net.org/includes/Anti-TerrorList.pdf#search=%22fatwah%20against%20terrorism%22

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
redset

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muslims are people and well... what do you think of people? It's hard to have an opinion on such a massive group of different individuals. I've met a lot of cool people though.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Muslims tend to assume people will make generalizations about them. Wink
Muslims are decent people just like everyone else! It's impossible to group them all under one category...
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flying_pig319 wrote:
I think Muslims tend to assume people will make generalizations about them. Wink
Muslims are decent people just like everyone else! It's impossible to group them all under one category...

Golly FP. Now why would you go and be so darned reasonable? Laughing Laughing

You're a good kid FP - I like you.

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beancurdturtle wrote:
flying_pig319 wrote:

Golly FP. Now why would you go and be so darned reasonable? Laughing Laughing

You're a good kid FP - I like you.

Thanks, man!
I like you too Smile
ad-miral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey if you wanna date you can do honeymoon here in Germany, beautiful lakes with swans
BourneNOIR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a general question about Islam... no offense intended... just curiosity.

Does "Islam" mean "Submission"? I ask because I've read about that somewhere before. I'm guessing that it's supposed to be submission to Allah, and I have no problems with that. But I'm just wondering if this tendency to "submit" in reference to a religion is affecting the Muslims in being able to govern themselves. I think not since there are quite a number of respectable Muslim countries that are quite capable of governing themselves (Turkey, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Jordan, Kuwait, etc.). So why are the Iraqis having a difficult time taking things into their own hands and start acting like they own the country and drive the insurgents out?

The insurgents are killing everyone, even fellow Iraqis. People want the US forces out (I'm not going to take sides on this issue), but does that mean the insurgents will stop killing fellow Iraqis? My concern is when will the REAL Iraqis (those who actually care about the future of Iraq and its people) decide to take charge? What's preventing them? Their religion? Their fear? It's as if the people in Iraq doesn't really care anymore... It's either terrorize or live in terror. Maybe the Saddam Hussein regime has had a detrimental effect on the will of the people, but it's been 3 yrs since 2003... And no neighboring countries are willing to give a hand... I feel for the Iraqi people, but when will they finally wake up and say "Enough is enough! This is our country and we are the ones who can control the insurgency!" Where's the nationalism? Where's the national pride?
BourneNOIR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: what do you think of Islam,and what do you think of musl Reply with quote

Azooz wrote:
i always wanted to know what peopl think about Islam and muslims, so can you please tell me your opinion?

Thanks Smile

I don't know... I have the utmost respect for all religions, including Islam. But for some reason, there's this "fear" about offending Islam and something bad would happen... Just take the Pope for example... He quoted some historical text about Islam and things went out of hand. His speech was taken out of context, he apologized, yet people were not only offended, they were furious.

The funny thing is, the Pope quoted something about violence and Islam... and the people protested... with violence! What irony! Of course, those who were violent were only a tiny fraction, but it gave a bad image for Islam and will falsely cause people to associate violence with Islam. Yet, peaceful muslims did not condemn those violent protesters... and I don't know why.

My impression is that muslims are probably the most misunderstood group of people. They are very attached to their faith (which is not a bad thing). However, perhaps overly emotional with their religion. Why is that not a good idea? Because emotion and logic/reasoning reside on different sides of the brain. When you use one side the ability to use the other side becomes slightly impaired. Think about it, when you're angry or sad, it's difficult to think things through or be reasonable. People who are calm and cool-headed are usually the people who can be reasonable and think things way out of tight situations. That's why people always say "When you're angry, count to 10 to calm down" because you need to use the logic side of the brain to count, and that takes the focus off the emotional side.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: what do you think of Islam,and what do you think of musl Reply with quote

BourneNOIR wrote:
Azooz wrote:

Thanks Smile

I don't know... I have the utmost respect for all religions, including Islam. But for some reason, there's this "fear" about offending Islam and something bad would happen... Just take the Pope for example... He quoted some historical text about Islam and things went out of hand. His speech was taken out of context, he apologized, yet people were not only offended, they were furious.

The funny thing is, the Pope quoted something about violence and Islam... and the people protested... with violence! What irony! Of course, those who were violent were only a tiny fraction, but it gave a bad image for Islam and will falsely cause people to associate violence with Islam. Yet, peaceful muslims did not condemn those violent protesters... and I don't know why.

My impression is that muslims are probably the most misunderstood group of people. They are very attached to their faith (which is not a bad thing). However, perhaps overly emotional with their religion. Why is that not a good idea? Because emotion and logic/reasoning reside on different sides of the brain. When you use one side the ability to use the other side becomes slightly impaired. Think about it, when you're angry or sad, it's difficult to think things through or be reasonable. People who are calm and cool-headed are usually the people who can be reasonable and think things way out of tight situations. That's why people always say "When you're angry, count to 10 to calm down" because you need to use the logic side of the brain to count, and that takes the focus off the emotional side.

Wonderful point.
If you're not careful, the emotional side can "take over" the logical side, and you'll end up KILLING people to promote your PEACE-seeking religion.
Hey wait-- that's actually happened once or twice! Wink
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A more pertinent question is - What do muslims think about other religions?
I'm curious.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anuradha Chepur wrote:
A more pertinent question is - What do muslims think about other religions?
I'm curious.

I have a friend from Thailand, and HE has a friend from Iran.
I asked my Thai friend to ask the Iranian what he thought of Jews (yes, I knew what I might be getting into!)
Turns out, the Iranian said he thought Jews were fine people, just like everyone else.
Seems like a perfect answer to me! Wink
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, it's the muslims who gave the name 'Hindu' to Hindus and also inadvertently assigned it the status of a religion. Laughing
In effect, Hinduism was a nameless culture (a way of life) with regional variations, and not exactly a religion. When the muslims invaded India, they had to cross the river Sindhu (now in Pakistan), and 'Hindu' is a corruption of Sindhu, coined by them to commonly refer to everyone in the region beyond the river.
They influenced Indian culture to some extent. For instance, they induced in us a love for Urdu Gazals (poetry), just as the British induced the craze for cricket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: