Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teachers, PLS help me!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
susan_wu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Teachers, PLS help me! Reply with quote

Hello,Teachers,

I need your help, please explain these sentences(parts of labeled as bold) to me, these senences were written by Thom, one of members in the forum:

I know from personal experience that whilst China may be politicaly communist, it's economic policies are resolutely neo-liberal capitalist with falling trade barriers and rapid privatisation.

As Diana pointed out, there is increasing multinational investment in these two countries and this year, China has become the single greatest recipient of international investment as multinationals look to exploit the disposable income of it's growing middle class.

Chirac recently blocked a move led by Blair to reform the CAP precisely because he needs the farmers' support to stay in power.

The sooner developing nations have the power to challenge this double standard the better.

Bear in mind that these tariff costs come on top of the damage from subsidies

Thanks a lot.
[/b]
advoca

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: To Susan Wu Reply with quote

Dear Susan,

Recently someone suggested that you put all your queries in one posting. This is not a good idea, because to reply to multiple questions like the nes you have posted here would take a great deal of space for a reply.

I think it better if you ask your questions one at a time.

Next, I have two questions. Where on earth do you get the sentences from? They are more advanced than any magazines or articles that I read, and they are so boring. (Still that's your choice.) Second question; where on earth do you get the time to spare for reading such esoteric articles and to write so many questions? You write prolifically to this forum and to the China Daily forum. Where do you get the time?

Kindest regards,

Advoca
susan_wu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Advoca,

Thanks for your sugesstion. Next time, I'll rember to post my queries one by one. In fact, all these queries were found from one article, so I post them in one posting. Sorry.

For your question:
1, All the sentences were written in one article, which is posted in the same website, just another forum: "Current News". Thom, who wrote it for the topic: "China leading the developing world against corporate greed".

2, Sorry, I never write any one question in the China Daily forum. Susan is my English name, so maybe you think all "Susan" is me. There are a lot of "Susan" in China. You should notice I'm "Susan_wu", not just "Susan". Rolling Eyes

3, Where do I get the time?
Sorry, I do think it's a strange question. If I'm interesting in something which is worth to do, I can find many spare times to do it. Of cause, it need to give up watching TV, hanging on, go shoping, go to party....etc., at some times, also need sleep late.

"Times are just like water of sponge, if you look for methods, it always can be found." Lu Xu-one of the most famous Chinese authors said.

4, I have to admit that I don't make a elaborate selection for my reading. Perhaps you can give me better lead. I do appreciate your help.

Sincerely,
Susan_Wu.
obelix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by obelix on Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:18 am; edited 3 times in total
obelix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need your help, please explain these sentences(parts of labeled as bold) to me, these senences were written by Thom, one of members in the forum:

I know from personal experience that whilst China may be politicaly communist, it's economic policies are resolutely neo-liberal capitalist with falling trade barriers and rapid privatisation.

it's economic policies are resolutely neo-liberal capitalist with falling trade barriers and rapid privatisation.

**You (or Thom) do not need an apostrophe in ITS. You only use an apostrophe when you mean IT IS.
This excerpt means that China is now moving from pure communism to a neo (NEW) liberal market economy in which trade barriers are falling and private ownership is increasing at a rapid rate.

As Diana pointed out, there is increasing multinational investment in these two countries and this year, China has become the single greatest recipient of international investment as multinationals look to exploit the disposable income of it's growing middle class.

multinationals look to exploit the disposable income of it's growing middle class.

**Companies that do business in many nations are now looking for ways to get China's growing "middle class" to spend its money on their products or services.

Chirac recently blocked a move led by Blair to reform the CAP precisely because he needs the farmers' support to stay in power.

**The CAP is the "Common Agricultural Policy" this is a European Common Market policy that sets regulations governing all aspects of agriculture in member countries. French farmers are a notoriously volatile lot and the French President (Jacques Chirac) needs their support to stay in power. The present CAP is heavily weighted in favour of french farmers.

The sooner developing nations have the power to challenge this double standard the better.

** The writer considers China a developing nation and thinks the world will be a better place when developing nations, such as China, have the power to challenge what is seen as a double standard. A double standard means, in this case, that there is one set of rules for developed nations and a different, usually disadvantageous, set of rules for developing nations

Bear in mind that these tariff costs come on top of the damage from subsidies

** This means you should not forget that the tariffs (customs levies) he is discussing are to be calculated in addition to the subsidies (government hand outs) that are already paid to farmers and some industries by their own governments.

Thanks a lot.

You are welcome Susan wu. If anything is still unclear don't be too shy to post it again.
advoca

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Oeblix's reply Reply with quote

Nice work Obelix. First class explanation. I hope all the students of this forum, read your excellent dissertaion.

Sincerely

Advoca
(PS. It was helpful for me too)
susan_wu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, obelix,

Frankly speaking, I'm not sure wether there are teachers who will answer me when I posted so much quesitons. I just made a try as I really wonder to understand this article clearly. There is no any words that can express my appreciation.

Dear, advoca,

I wonder if you have read this article. It's a little esoteric for me, but really not boring. I think Thom is a excellent writer, who laied out one article with clear minds. Befor read it, I didn't understand why our goverment argued with EU strongly and what is farm subsidies and what worse impact it will bring our country. Maybe you think I should read more articles which will help me easily pass TOFEL, ETS, GRE... , it's the main goal for most of Chinese students to study English, but not mine. I'm interesting in realizing the world, English is one of tools.

Sincerely,
Susan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: