Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do people hate Muslims so much? -Soldier with dead head
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ad-miral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Why do people hate Muslims so much? -Soldier with dead head Reply with quote

There were some German soldiers in the Middle East holding a skull (maybe of a Muslim soldier) before the camera, laughing.
Well he has been punished and maybe now there will also be terroristic acts in Germany.

Hey but why do people hate Muslims? They are people like you and me, or not?
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you consider it childish to argue about religion. Surprised
Edoardo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... And it is even wrong to think that religion has something to do with this thing... Any group of men stressed by war could have done the same...
borerborer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think during the war, the soldiers are not theirselves, they become war-machines. And not being in the war, I don't think we can totally understand the emotions of the Mulism and the Soldiers.
BourneNOIR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Why do people hate Muslims so much? -Soldier with dead h Reply with quote

ad-miral wrote:
Hey but why do people hate Muslims? They are people like you and me, or not?

First of all, that's an unfounded assumption. Questions based on unfounded assumptions will never get anywhere. What made you think people "hate" Muslims?

Remember what Yoda said? "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. And hate leads to suffering..." Maybe people "fear" Muslims. Maybe Muslims should ask "why are we feared?" While not all Muslims are terrorists or insurgents, maybe they should ask "why is a significant portion of terrorists and insurgents Muslims?" Terrorists and insurgents target everyone, so in the end, even Muslims fear fellow Muslims...
RedRose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very meaningless and boring to discuss politics and religion Shocked
ad-miral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not talking about religion I'm talking about soldiers letting the press make a photo of them with a skull of their enemy. This is degrading of any human norms and this is not a discussion about religion.

You don't think it's stupid?
Hahaha and if you want terrorists you can have them in every country of the world, in Italy there is Mafia, in China there is Mafia too, not to speak about America.
Edoardo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad-miral wrote:

You don't think it's stupid?
Hahaha and if you want terrorists you can have them in every country of the world, in Italy there is Mafia, in China there is Mafia too, not to speak about America.

And this support very well what he has said... If I found some victims of mafia happy because of the death/imprisoning of a mafia boss, I wouldn't be so surprised... I don't know where you want to go!!!
BourneNOIR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pointless to discuss about opinions.

Some people celebrate at the death of a notorious criminal/murderer/rapist, while others see the execution of any human being immoral.

However, it might be inappropriate to put one's personal and controversial opinion on public display like the soldier. It's not something a rational person should do. Then again, war does strange things to people like previous posters said so you'd probably end up doing things that your normal sane self wouldn't do...
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BourneNOIR wrote:
It's pointless to discuss about opinions.

What?

Well it's most certainly pointless to discuss about FACTS, since we already know the non-debatable answer...
BourneNOIR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flying_pig319 wrote:
What?

Well it's most certainly pointless to discuss about FACTS, since we already know the non-debatable answer...

Yeah, but not everyone sees the facts. Some overlook facts, while others just tend ignore them.

As for opinions (I meant pure opinions), sure, everyone can feel free to state them. But unlike facts where there's right or wrong, most of the time you'll be going in circles. Then there are INTERPRETATIONS of facts... and depending on how you present them, it can either be pointless or not.
ad-miral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edoardo wrote:
However, it might be inappropriate to put one's personal and controversial opinion on public display like the soldier. It's not something a rational person should do. Then again, war does strange things to people like previous posters said so you'd probably end up doing things that your normal sane self wouldn't do...

Very well said, people doing big bad things, without considering the result for human life, are evil. If our destiny is to kill other people we shouldn't have invented guns etc., because with A-bombs etc we are destroying the future home of our children.

But many soldiers, especially the young ones, don't know this. Maybe they didn't have good qualification in school and they didn't have enough wisdom.
Giving these guys weapons is a bad thing. Maybe there should be philosophy lessons for soldiers...
BourneNOIR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad-miral wrote:
But many soldiers, especially the young ones, don't know this. Maybe they didn't have good qualification in school and they didn't have enough wisdom.
Giving these guys weapons is a bad thing. Maybe there should be philosophy lessons for soldiers...

Agreed. People can join the military when they're 18 (at least here in the US), fresh out of highschool. They have yet to experience the real world, not to mention the psychological trauma they'll face on the battle field. They're too young to handle the emotional and psychological stress. They may be excellent at firing weapons and other technical skills, but lack the ethical/moral/ philosophical training like you mentioned.
Philo Kevetch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP - How would you compare magazine photos of German soldiers holding a skull with Islamists holding freshly severed heads after recording beheadings on video to be aired on tv?
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BourneNOIR wrote:
ad-miral wrote:

Agreed. People can join the military when they're 18 (at least here in the US), fresh out of highschool. They have yet to experience the real world, not to mention the psychological trauma they'll face on the battle field. They're too young to handle the emotional and psychological stress. They may be excellent at firing weapons and other technical skills, but lack the ethical/moral/ philosophical training like you mentioned.

I wouldn't say that they lack the moral training, for everyone knows that one shouldn't shoot at random (innocent) people, but they lack the self-control to handle themselves in such a situation. In other words, it's really ridiculous to give someone a weapon, stick them in a foreign country, scare them by telling them everyone around them is evil, and expect them to be able to behave rationally (even if they DO normally know they shouldn't fire.... going back to what Edorado was saying).
Anyway, giving this power to young people is even CRAZIER! However, the benefits offered by the army are (sadly) very persuasive to the young, poor, uneducated teenagers that the government refuses to educate or help financially.

I love your posts, Noir.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: