Site Search:
 
Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hate Sites and Propogandas.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
U-jin



Joined: 26 May 2003
Posts: 46

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: You judged me too quickly. Reply with quote

Diana wrote:
Well, I'm glad to hear that China don't hate anyone, Wushaoru. And I can tell you that Americans feel the same way. We don't hate anyone either.


Well that settles it, no one hates anyone any more. Please do continue to speak on behalf of 1.5~1.7 billion people.

Diana wrote:

If you had read my entire discussion with Ilyia, you would have known that I admitted being wrong in accusing the Russians of purposely killing Afghan children. Does this sound like I am incapable of reaching common ground?


No, it sounds like you dont know what you are talking about, yet it never stoped you from writing. I notice that a lot, when I come across your posts. Can we say lack of "reading comprehension"? Yes we can.

---
^^ V "Omniotobah"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Diana



Joined: 16 Jan 2003
Posts: 494
Location: Guam, USA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's very intelligent, U-Jin. I guess by your sarcastic remark, this now means you are saying that many Americans DO HATE, huh? Nice going, U-Jin. This time you patronized the American people!

Gee, you sound very sore! Was it something I said, U-Jin? LOL!!! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
U-jin



Joined: 26 May 2003
Posts: 46

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:
Oh, that's very intelligent, U-Jin. I guess by your sarcastic remark, this now means you are saying that many Americans DO HATE, huh? Nice going, U-Jin. This time you patronized the American people!

Gee, you sound very sore! Was it something I said, U-Jin? LOL!!! Laughing


Todays Lesson:

"Well that settles it, no one hates anyone any more. Please do continue to speak on behalf of 1.5~1.7 billion people. "

Reading comprehension:

"Well that settles it" What is settled?
The answer is given in the second part of the statement:
"no one hates anyone any more.” The issue of people not hating each other anymore from USA and China.


What does it mean:

In reality the sentence point out very elegantly the flaws of the statements to which it is actually answering to. On the surface it seems that I am agreeing, yet in reality such sentence questions the validity of the original statement (Wow that was a mouthful..ohh wait, some of you must know all about it!)
So the sentence actually saying "How can is be settled? How can it be settled just because someone wrote that it is settled!? Who was able to change the world and banish any source of hate? None other then the person who wrote naive quote "Well, I'm glad to hear that China don't hate anyone, Wushaoru. And I can tell you that Americans feel the same way. We don't hate anyone either." Such absolute statements are false. A person who makes such statements obviously lacks the understanding of reality, and something that someone might say in the kindergarten. But than again, who knows, maybe that person is in kindergarten talking to another one, who is in China? Highly unlikely, but plausible.

So lets review:
"Well that settles it, no one hates anyone any more. Please do continue to speak on behalf of 1.5~1.7 billion people. "

It means that "yours statement is false, because you cant talk on anyone’s behalf, abd by making such generalization, ignoring reality of life, exhibits lack of fortitude and ignorance on the subject matter.

A better way of saying it " I dont hate you."
"Mary hates you, even though you dont hate her."
"I hate ice-cream but my friend doesnt."

This way you are talking about a subject matter you are familiar about. You dont generelize and make absolute statements on behalf lets say billion people.

Conclusion: Most likely, there are people in china who dont like Americans, just as there Americans who dont like Chinese. An example that my parallel it would be: There are some poor who hate the rich, and there are some rich people who hate the poor. But not all "hate the poor." and or "love the rich"! History, human nature, and current events underline the constant strife that we face everyday, thus such ludicrous statement "Well, I'm glad to hear that China don't hate anyone, Wushaoru. And I can tell you that Americans feel the same way. We don't hate anyone either. "either shows ignorance on the subject matter.


Lets continue: Please point out where in this phrase "Well that settles it, no one hates anyone any more. Please do continue to speak on behalf of 1.5~1.7 billion people." where it says "that many Americans DO HATE" (assuming chinese)

It doesnt. The sentence basically points out that 'one shouldnt talk on behalf of anyone, and not to make absolute statements." What else you might imply depends on the reader, and it is an irrelevant point to the subject matter. Case in point another person might say “does it mean that ‘many Americans DO LOVE’ (Chinese)” that is possible. But then it could be "FEW Americans DO HATE." I dont know, but I dont make absolute statements, where it will became wrong. So whatever the person thinks after reading the sentence leaves a field of ambiguity that is normal. That is how we live in real world.


Lesson learned: Reading comprehension is important!

This kick as$ lesson was brought to you by U-jin!

p.s. something of interest: Will people stop hating each other, when they are all dead? One might say, no one is there, so no one is capable of hating, and dead people don’t hate. But then even then it is hard to say “that no one hates anyone” Who knows maybe there are humans on other planets or in different time space! Can you say I am wrong? You cant, you might say it is unlikely, but you cant say that I am absolutely wrong, because for that you would actually need to be in different time space and on different planets and then come back and give me a fact!: ) But then what if there humans in place we don’t know! Like humans who use abacus to contact the internet and Chinese firecrackers to get to space!!! That would be very amazing indeed! But that is another story.




^^ v~~~
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Diana



Joined: 16 Jan 2003
Posts: 494
Location: Guam, USA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U-jin wrote:


Todays Lesson:

"Well that settles it, no one hates anyone any more. Please do continue to speak on behalf of 1.5~1.7 billion people. "



Real Life Lesson:

People who obviously don't like you and make a remark on a POSITIVE comment by stating Please do continue to speak on behalf of 1.5~1.7 billion people is only being sarcastic.

Like you, U-Jin, I believe that many Americans are good people. When Wash said that China doesn't hate, all I said is that I'm glad to hear that China doesn't hate, and I can say the same for America. Of course, there are a few who do hate, but you're only talking about a few. Yet, you make such a big deal out of symantics. I only said what I said because Wash put down America. And what did I tell you before, U-Jin? Don't you remember? I specifically told you that I have a way of debating with someone who is anti-American, and I do it very effectively.

And by the way, the population of the United States is approximately 270 million and don't even range in the billions. So, get your facts straight. It's embarrassing enough that you're an American and you can't even get the population of your own country right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
U-jin



Joined: 26 May 2003
Posts: 46

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:
U-jin wrote:


Todays Lesson:

"Well that settles it, no one hates anyone any more. Please do continue to speak on behalf of 1.5~1.7 billion people. "



Real Life Lesson:

People who obviously don't like you and make a remark on a POSITIVE comment by stating Please do continue to speak on behalf of 1.5~1.7 billion people is only being sarcastic.

Like you, U-Jin, I believe that many Americans are good people. When Wash said that China doesn't hate, all I said is that I'm glad to hear that China doesn't hate, and I can say the same for America. Of course, there are a few who do hate, but you're only talking about a few. Yet, you make such a big deal out of symantics. I only said what I said because Wash put down America. And what did I tell you before, U-Jin? Don't you remember? I specifically told you that I have a way of debating with someone who is anti-American, and I do it very effectively.

And by the way, the population of the United States is approximately 270 million and don't even range in the billions. So, get your facts straight. It's embarrassing enough that you're an American and you can't even get the population of your own country right.


Please dont open your mouth anymore. Because you dont know what you are talking about.

Math Lesson:
chinese population: 1,291, 902,514
USA population : ~ 276,000,000
Since you dont know how to add the answer is at over
1, 567, 902,514 because it is 2002 census. that is 1 BILLION 902 MILLION...

So not only you need to take classes in reading and vocabulary you need to take some basic math as well. The statement wasnt just talking to you, even though you might think the world revolves around you.

Real life in your dream world lesson it must be because "People who obviously don't like you and make a remark ..." Who said anything about liking or not like people? You, me...someone else? You dont even know what you are talking about because 1: we alrady established you cant read 2:you dont know much and 3: you can add. Feel free to "explore" the "Reality" and show me who doesnt like who and where in this topic? You must be drunk or drunk or a troll cause you dont make any sense.

"I specifically told you that I have a way of debating with someone who is anti-American, and I do it very effectively. " Yeah you keep on believing that you must be a masterdebater and you are also the queen of Poland. Oh wait, is your secret in debating is to talk to people who cant speak engRish? Yeahhhhhhhhhh nice one!

Who said I am an American? You just keep on creating one "fact" after another "fact" from your little dream world.


You have ZERO credibility now. Your statements are full of assumptions, and your ignorance embarrassing even for a kid. The only thing besides making an idiot out of yourself you are very good in copying and pasting materials which has little to no relevance to the topic. You MA'AM are a TROLL.

For our non-enlglish speaking people: Troll: is someone who writes something out of ennui because they are a loser and they write nonsense to arise a reaction from everyday public that reads in good faith forums.

Grow up, have a cookie, and you are on my ignore list under TROLL.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Diana



Joined: 16 Jan 2003
Posts: 494
Location: Guam, USA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U-jin wrote:


Please dont open your mouth anymore. Because you dont know what you are talking about.

Math Lesson:
chinese population: 1,291, 902,514
USA population : ~ 276,000,000
Since you dont know how to add the answer is at over
1, 567, 902,514 because it is 2002 census. that is 1 BILLION 902 MILLION...


Uh....excuse me, U-Jin but why in the world would you add the population of China and America when it was America I was defending all along???? What makes you think that I was representing China especially when it's very obvious in the thread that I was defending America. You posted to me (not Wash) and told me to continue to speak on behalf of 1.5-1.7 billion people. Anyone reading THIS THREAD knows that I stood beside America - not China nor Russia. DUH!!


U-jin wrote:


Who said I am an American? You just keep on creating one "fact" after another "fact" from your little dream world.


You have ZERO credibility now. Your statements are full of assumptions, and your ignorance embarrassing even for a kid. The only thing besides making an idiot out of yourself you are very good in copying and pasting materials which has little to no relevance to the topic. You MA'AM are a TROLL.


Who said you are an American? You did, U-Jin. It was written in your post dated June 12, 2003. And now here you are trying to make me look like I made a false assumption. No, U-Jin, this time I'm going to show everyone that you are the LIAR and the hypocrite. Below in bold print is part of what you posted on June 12, 2003. It's very obvious where you are from.


" Yes, USA has problems, but in USA you can address them and improve on them. We are not perfect but it is the best f@cking place to live and work at. Unlike your country which is so f@cking corrupt and no one gives a sh1t about their own people. I would be bitter as you are living in a crazy hole as you do. Don't believe me? Ask millions of people who are trying to make it here and have a better and make a better life for their children. How many people trying to migrate to your country. Yeah, that's what I thought."

Your post is found in the "Culture" section under the topic heading "American Culture."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2011 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teachers College, Columbia University: Train to Teach English Here or Abroad
SIT
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group