Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what comes in your mind when i say.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sun_q

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: what comes in your mind when i say..... Reply with quote

what comes in your mind when i say arab cultuer???

Cristi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm...Let me see... Problaby I automatically would think, interesting, enigmatic, different, confusing, rich, incredible... That's what I think when I hear about Arab culture.

All cultures are very interesting, we just have to learn about them and take the good things from it and forget of the bad things about it. In all cultures there are good and bad people but ALWAYS there are more good people than bad and that's what counts. Very Happy

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear."
Mark Twain.
Bob S.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: what comes in your mind when i say..... Reply with quote

sun_q wrote:
what comes in your mind when i say arab culture???
One word: Baksheesh.
Veravera

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd associate it with Arabian Nights, the picture of a camel in a desert ,belly dance, flying carpet and something mystery....yes,that come in my mind first.
asterix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately the images have all been negative.
Can't govern themselves and are too busy fighting each other or interfering with other countries.
Cristi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lately the images have all been negative.

That's true, Asterix...And that's the sad part of the story. The media shows lots of pictures, videos and all kinds of stuff from arab countries that make us think that life in there sucks and people there are all a bunch of nutters. But, it's too obvious that it is not true that everybody is the same. People can be killed and tortured everywhere, even in my dear country that doesn't even have an army. People can be nuts everywhere too and well, the most terrible tyrants, who definitely are the top of the nutters, seem to come from other places that aren't exactly arab countries. For example, Hitler and Pinochet, both without a single bit of arab in their blood (Or at least I think that). Anyway... There are many horrific things happening right now in some arab countries, like in Lebanon and Iraq, but mostly, the problems seem to be political and about power, which leads us to think that those kinds of trouble don't have anything to do with the people who live there. Actually, the people are the ones who finish paying all the "broken plates" (that's an expression we use here), while the rich guys end up being richer...

I hope this makes us analyze the situation of our worlds, that are quite different from each other, but can get to be equal if we really try.

Bye, have a nice day you all. Wink

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear."
Mark Twain.
cavcstudios

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Arabs are coming, The Arabs are coming.
brunette

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veil.
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummus! Yum!

Hummus or more precisely hummus bi tahini (Arabic: حُمُّص‎; Hebrew: חוּמוּס‎; Armenian համոս hamos; also spelled houmous, hommus, hummous or humus) is a dip made of ground chickpeas, tahini (sesame seed paste), lemon juice, and garlic, and often olive oil and paprika.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummus

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
RedRose

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Culture All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: