Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BULIMIA !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VANE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: BULIMIA !!! Reply with quote

Hi everyone ! Wink There are more and more people (girls and boys) that want the famous "perfect body" but to get it, they ask help to some practices not so healthy as the BULIMIA. Sad

Maybe you have heard more about anorexia than bulimia, but both are very dangerous. The problem is that you can easily know an anorexian person just seing him or her. But you can't know when someone has bulimia. It is quiet!

So, what do you think about this problem? Do you know someone with it? And if you don't know what is it, maybe I can help you.

Is it worth getting sick just trying to lose weight??????
Ellie-The-Vampiress

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: BULIMIA !!! Reply with quote

VANE wrote:
The problem is that you can easily know an anorexic person just seing him or her. But you can't know when someone has bulimia. It is quiet!

I do not understand.
Can you explain more as to how bulimia is 'not noticable'.
Because in my opinion, they are both easily recognised.
They are also damaging and destructive, don't do them.
VANE

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: BULIMIA Reply with quote

Hi!

I really agree witht you when you say that both are destructive, but I said that because a person with anorexia become very thin or thiner than how she was before. They start losing weight very fast and their factions change.

Now, someone with Bulimia can lose weight but she or he is going to recover it pretty soon because of the anxiety that is going to make this person start eating a lot. So, what I mean is that a bulimic person is going to mantain her/his weight like in a rank: they lose weight but after they are going to recover it!
Ellie-The-Vampiress

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to redefine your idea of bulimia.
because anorexia and bulimia give the same result.
openenglish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellie-The-Vampiress wrote:
I think you need to redefine your idea of bulimia.
because anorexia and bulimia give the same result.

not necessarily, Vane is right, usually people with bulimia don't lose as much weight as people with anorexia. But there are some symptoms that make it recognizable - you might notice that their teeth start to look unhealthy because the stomach acids in their vomit damage them. Also they generally eat A LOT in one meal after which they will go directly to the bathroom to vomit.

Both diseases are extremely dangerous and can lead to death.

I don't think it is ever worth putting yourself at risk like that, just so you can be thinner.
icecube

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: 15-year-old girl victim of bulimia Reply with quote

Bulimia carries lots of health risks.
There was a case in Canada when a 15-year-old girl died from a common prescription drug. The adverse effects of that drug are multiplied under the conditions of potassium deficiency, exactly what happens when the stomach contents are being evacuated.

In her case the potassium loss was apparently very severe as a result of regular self-induced vomiting.

And even though she was brought to the doctor's office with a complaint of vomiting, among other things, the doctor was apparently not aware about the extent of it, he was not told that she was bulemic.

This case is described on the site http://www.badnursing.com/vanyoung.htm

When I was working in hospitals as a part of my nursing practice, I saw quite a few young women patients, but only one guy (23, had a gall bladder removed)

There was a girl of 17 with brain cancer,
a woman of 26 with diabetic neuropathy so advanced that she had a toe amputated,
another woman of 26 had a colon cancer,
a woman of 23 had advanced Crohn's disease and was undergoing a yet another bowel resection,
a woman of 32 had lymphatic cancer,
woman in her early 40s had been admitted for a yet another bowel resection, by that time she had undergone several operations, the first one was in her early 30s.

Such ratio of sick guys to sick girls could well be because, overall, guys are leading healthier lifestyles by the virtue of the fact that they are not starving themselves and more guys on average are involved in some sort of athletic activities.

Regards: Icecube
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: