Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Viking Raiders Attack Columbus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiromichi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: without alienating Democrats he will need to push it over th Reply with quote

What is the relationship between "Democrats" and "push"?

Since he is likely to lose the most conservative elements of his rank and file, Mr. Boehner faces the task of framing the pact as friendly enough to Republican principles to win over a significant group of House Republicans without alienating Democrats he will need to push it over the top.
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: without alienating Democrats he will need to push it ove Reply with quote

hiromichi wrote:
What is the relationship between "Democrats" and "push"?

Since he is likely to lose the most conservative elements of his rank and file, Mr. Boehner faces the task of framing the pact as friendly enough to Republican principles to win over a significant group of House Republicans without alienating Democrats he will need to push it over the top.

He needed not only the Republicans, but some Democrats as well, so he didn't want to alienate the Democrats whose votes he needed to "push it over the top" (succeed in getting enough votes to have it pass.)
hiromichi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much.

"push it over the top" (succeed in getting enough votes to have it pass.)
hiromichi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: vintage-looking diner Reply with quote

Please tell me what a vintage-looking diner is. On the internet I was not able to get a solution.
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A diner is a kind of restaurant. See if you can see these google pictures: http://www.google.com/search?q=diner&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=1IsGT822FqipiQLT0ak1&biw=996&bih=552&sei=4IsGT62gCeKYiQLj1vQw If you can't, try to google "diner" in images.

A "vintage-looking diner" is a diner that looks like an old-style diner.
hiromichi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorikeet:
Thank you. I had thought a diner was a train only, but it could refer to a dining place as well.
hiromichi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: build on Reply with quote

For exact understanding I like to have "built on" below replaced by other words.

The employment report built on a flurry of heartening economic news in December, when consumer confidence rose, manufacturing came in strong and small businesses showed signs of life.
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: build on Reply with quote

hiromichi wrote:
For exact understanding I like to have "built on" below replaced by other words.

The employment report built on a flurry of heartening economic news in December, when consumer confidence rose, manufacturing came in strong and small businesses showed signs of life.

Hmm. It's sort of like, "The employment report continued the good news." That is, there was a good report of consumer confidence, manufacturing, and small business. Then the employment report came and it was good too.
hiromichi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorikeet:
Thank you very much.
hiromichi

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Courtesy Announcements Reply with quote

When events are listed under a title of Courtesy Announcements, are they meant to be admission-free?
hiromichi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: tennis terminology Reply with quote

What activity is ' scoop one's forehand wide' ?

On game point in the next game, an off-balance Marrero scooped his forehand wide.
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: tennis terminology Reply with quote

hiromichi wrote:
What activity is ' scoop one's forehand wide' ?

On game point in the next game, an off-balance Marrero scooped his forehand wide.

I am not sure, but it sounds like tennis. I would guess it means Marrero was not well balanced, and when he went to take the shot, he hit it with his forehand (not his backhand) and it went wide, meaning it didn't stay in the court. That is my guess.
hiromichi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorikeet:
Thank you very much.
SimpleEnglishBlogger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: prevail upon his sense of guilt Reply with quote

hiromichi wrote:
What does "prevail upon his sense of guilt" mean? It seems tome an odd expression.

At the ceremony, Mr. Obama praised his friend, Pete Rouse, who served as interim chief of staff after the departure last fall of Rahm Emanuel, who is running for mayor of Chicago.

Mr. Obama said that he had prevailed upon �Pete�s sense of duty � or sense of guilt� and that Mr. Rouse had agreed to serve as the president�s counselor for the next two years.

You're right. It does sound odd, IMO too. To prevail basically means to win or succeed. I think the author meant to write "preyed".

All of the videos are in SLOW and EASY ENGLISH so they are easy to understand and will help you improve your listening until you can watch regular movies and TV!
SimpleEnglishBlogger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: be fought out below the line Reply with quote

hiromichi wrote:
I wonder what does "be fought out below the line" mean?

Having so far concentrated on philosophy and politics we now turn to what was the major part of Marx's output, namely the economics. But it is in the economics where his political philosophy begins to take on real form. There is not space enough here to cover the enormous range of his economics but there are a few basics which need to be dealt with in this slightly longer piece and which can be fought out below the line as usual.

I'm only guessing but it seems that you read this on a blog somewhere? Many blogs will show the first few lines of writing and then you need to click "read more" or something similar to continue reading the article. Depending on the blog you're reading, there might be a line there as well. I think the author is simply saying that in order to read about the "few basics which need to be dealt with", you need to click "read more". I've also seen this referred to as "after/below the jump".

All of the videos are in SLOW and EASY ENGLISH so they are easy to understand and will help you improve your listening until you can watch regular movies and TV!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: