Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New US President
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tina8717

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: who will be the next president of USA Reply with quote

Before Mrs. Clinton ended her presidential competition, I really support her for the next president of USA. Now I want Obama invite her to be the vice-president in his competition. I think they are the dream team for presidential competition.
pugachevV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt the USA will get the government it deserves, just as it always has.
Bob S.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugachevV wrote:
No doubt the USA will get the government it deserves, just as it always has.
Shoot me. Just shoot me.

Krauthammer's Razor (with apologies to Occam): In explaining any puzzling Washington phenomenon, always choose stupidity over conspiracy, incompetence over cunning. Anything else gives them too much credit.
pugachevV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In recent years the USA has done better under a Republican government, I'd say.
I think that because the majority of the press is owned by and written for by left wing supporters, they manage, over time, to erode popular support for any Republican president.
George Bush may not be popular, but he is not stupid and we are not in possession of the facts that he has access to, and so, not in a position to criticise him. Also he is the first president, since Roosevelt, to have to deal with an attack on the American homeland.
So, a charitable person would believe that George Bush has been doing what he thought would be best for America's world interests and the protection of US citizens.
Incidentally, those of you who choose to sneer at the USA's efforts when they go wrong, should remember that the USA brought democracy to Japan, to Germany,to the former Soviet Union, to half of Korea and is trying to bring it to Afghanistan and Iraq.
Nobody's perfect, but America is an optimist which does what it does for the right reasons and I would sure as hell rather they ran the world than Iran, or Syria, or Osama the great deluded.
Philo Kevetch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear PugachevV -

Your defense of recent Republican administrations, George Bush and the U.S.A. is laudable.

However...allowing the U.S. president carte blanche as 'commander in chief' to invade another country is beyond the pale.

A much more sensible solution would have been to offer 'Sadam' a mansion in Beverly Hills (next door to Sean Penn??), a luxury condo with a view of Central Park, generous annual stipend, stretch limo., a week-end in the Lincoln Bedroom, etc etc. etc.

...and spared many lives, saved tons of cash, and "done what would be best for Americas' world interest and the protection of US citizens".
pugachevV

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think under the US system the president cannot just invade any country without the consent of congress, and the senate.

However, I think your point is valid, as to the costs of any war.
For instance, wouldn't it make more sense to buy all the opium in Afghanistan and use it medically? Even buying it and burning it would be cheaper than prosecuting a war against the entrenched interest of the poppy growers.

In any case, it is a stupid concept to ban something that will happily grow all over the place and that people enjoy (marijuana, opium poppies, and coca spring to mind). Someone will always fill the demand.

I guarantee that I can walk into any town in America and within a few hours, acquire any of the three drugs alluded to above. Yet how many gazillions of dollars are spent by the US government around the world to prevent this from happening?
All you get for your hard-earned money is more cops with more power than they should have and a few steps closer to a police state.

Unfortunately for tax payers, the whole idea behind terrorism, as Che Guevara's said, is that the government that is threatened, overreacts and so more people become disenchanted enough to join "the movement".

It's already happening and although all governments try to deal with it, they seem to be falling short.

I still believe that, although George Bush may be seen as a buffoon by some people, he was motivated by a concern for America and Americans, and thought he was doing the right thing, just as Bill Clinton was, when he made his mistakes.

And I am very cynical and not a US citizen.
DanielleR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I'm a US Citizen and I'm voting for Obama. Not only will he win - it'll be a landslide!

Obama represents change, youth and hope to us.

McCain just doesn't have the charisma it takes to win. Doesn't he look like a nerd? And after the Republicans have so badly messed up over the last 8 years (not just my sentiment but the feeling of most Americans), I don't think any Republican would have a chance to win.

Obama will be good to improve our reputation in the world. He's lived abroad and is more tolerant and open-minded to people from other cultures.
pugachevV

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama may well turn out to be a good president - if he gets elected.
You will only know for sure what most Americans think, after the election.
As you are basing your decision on the fact that you think John McCain looks like a nerd, it tells us rather more about you and your political smarts than you probably intended.
In fact John McCain put his life on the line for America, which is considerably more than your hero has done.
Bob S.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielleR wrote:
Obama represents change, youth and hope to us.
Change, eh? Let's see.
Will he change our energy policy to make us less dependent on foreign oil? No.
Will he change our energy policy to use more nuclear like Europe? No.
Will he change our border policy to make them more secure against unchecked illegal immigration and drug smuggling? No.
Will he change our education policy and allow school choice so increased competition can increase overall school quality? No.
Will he reform our legal system to a "loser pays" system such as exists in European countries to end predatory lawsuits and harassment lawsuits that clog our courts and decrease trust in our legal system? No.
Will he promise to nominate justices that will put a stop to government power-grabs such as the 'Kelo vs. New London' decision? No.

Change, not quite. He is more about maintaining the status quo.

But it doesn't matter. He'll probably win anyway. His main ally it turns out is McCain himself. McCain is doing his best to drive off his conservative base with a great big middle-finger salute. He is about to re-learn a truism of politics: Give the people a choice between a Democrat and a Democrat and they'll chose the Democrat every time.

Quote:
Obama will be good to improve our reputation in the world. He's lived abroad and is more tolerant and open-minded to people from other cultures.
Though he is not tolerant, open-minded, or respectful of people of other cultures within his own country. Most politicians seem to have some degree of snobbery, but BHO's ivory tower arrogant elitism is bleeding out all over the place, and he needs to stem that right away or it's going to really hurt his chances after the convention when the real campaigning begins.
Philo Kevetch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone spending so much time and resources to hold the office of president has no intention of changing anything in any meaningful way.

The first U.S. president had the right idea.

'politics as a profession'?? ...Ideally, a term of public office should be more like 'jury duty'.
pugachevV

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we should lock them up in a hotel room, feed them fast food and not let them go home until they come up with a unanimous answer to our problems, and pay them a mere pittance.
We might get better government.
Tone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember posting this topic since Hilary and Obama...

Now that Obama win the vote so I hope everything will go well....
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't posted on here in a while (hello to all the folks who remember me!) but I decided to drop by, and I'm surprised at the opinions expressed in this thread!

I threw my support behind Obama during the election (I was 17 and could not vote, but I did a lot of phonebanking and volunteering) though I initially supported Edwards during the primaries.

I think the extent to which Obama has already changed the political stage is remarkable -- the way people (of all walks of life) are interested in politics and people are proud of their president is something that hasn't happened since Nixon. It's remarkable.

With a few exceptions (not releasing torture photos and the bail-out), I think Obama has done an excellent job as president. This isn't just because I'm a democrat (I do think for myself and while 90% of my views do align with the democratic party, there are certain issues which I'm on the fence about, such as abortion and the right to torture... although in the current torture controversy, torture was against the law, so no matter what I think about it ethically, I do think that those who did it should be punished). Aaaanyway, I'm saying this so that my support for Obama might be taken more seriously by those who do not belong to my political party -- I am an independent thinker and I have come to the conclusion that Obama is doing a great job. It seems that some people are so used to being disappointed by the government that they are unable to appreciate having an intelligent, well-intentioned, competent president.

I'd be interested in hearing (civil, as always) arguments from those who do not support Obama. I am very open to listening to other/dissenting opinions... to an extent. If you loved Sarah Palin, I'm afraid you have lost my trust as someone who is of sound political judgement Wink

//edit: Wow, I just realized what an old photo of me my photo is... I may change it soon to something more up-to-date. I think I was around 15 when I frequently posted on here, and I turn 18 on Tuesday so it might be time for a change.
Tone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't come back to see my topic for a long time and just realized that I made a wronge prediction!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: