Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dirty talk in a class
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Dirty talk in a class Reply with quote

I have no idea how many people at this forum are teachers, but I am sure I am one. and I know teachers are not supposed to say dirty words in front of your students. however, sometimes it happens, unexpectedly, especially when you get used to something, and it has become your habit, it's hard for you to get rid of it, unfortunately.

Today I had a medicine class for 60 students, I was giving them an example to try to make a point. I asked:"what if the patient's bloodpressure is going down to lower than 70/40mmgh for parmic allergy and you don't even inject him any cortin and adrenalin?? oh, damnit! the patient is gonna go to the f-ucking grave!" all my students laughed a lot, although I felt very embarrassed, but I said:"calm down! why are you guys so excited about those profane words? are they beautiful?"

I wish I could have withdrawn my dirty words, but too late! I slipped out those words, because I say them very often, and that has become my habit, bad habit. today is a bad day.
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Dirty talk in a class Reply with quote

RedRose wrote:
I wish I could have withdrawn my dirty words, but too late! I slipped out those words, because I say them very often, and that has become my habit, bad habit. today is a bad day.

That's a minor mistake for someone that teaches medicine.

Just think, none of your students will forget this lesson. Maybe you've saved someone from going to the f-ing gravel. They'll be helped by a student that might have forgotten the lesson if you didn't use colorful language. Very Happy

I think your students will forgive you. I would. Wink

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
RedRose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much. you can always see the bright side through the surface(except when we talk about stock Laughing ). Now I feel better, really better.

I think all my students have forgot me by now. it's me who feel guilty and humiliated Embarassed Embarassed However, as time goes by, everything will be fine.

My daughter suggested that I should try not to say foul language anytime, but it's just too hard for me. You know, sometimes we are upset or cranky for some reasons like stock, bad cooking, then speaking foul language and gossiping can really put us in a good mood. for me, they always work.
Bob S.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
Reminds me of a comedy routine from Bill Cosby.

"When you're a father you censor yourself. You get just as angry with a child but you don't want to say, 'What the filth and foul and I'll filth and foul, filth and foul and, yeah, ya filth and foul face, and I'll filth and foul, foul, filth!' You don't want to say that to a child so you censor yourself and you sound like an idiot."

A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
- Rudyard Kipling
RedRose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob S. wrote:
"When you're a father you censor yourself. You get just as angry with a child but you don't want to say, 'What the filth and foul and I'll filth and foul, filth and foul and, yeah, ya filth and foul face, and I'll filth and foul, foul, filth!' You don't want to say that to a child so you censor yourself and you sound like an idiot."

I don't get it Rolling Eyes
Dixie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Oh RedRose, how much I would pay for attending just one of your classes! Laughing

Sorry I can't help you, I never curse, I am a good girl Cool Laughing

EXCEPT I remember last year a student just got on my nerves. It was a 14-year-old who never paid attention in class, talked with her partner out loud constantly, spent the whole session drawing in her notebook... Suddenly she screamed for no reason. I had warned her so many times and that day I asked her to get out of my class. She pretended she had not heard me and remained sitting on her desk. I had to walk up to where she was sitting and ask her again to leave the room. She looked at me with this angelical face and said: Why, teacher? Evil or Very Mad She was being so rude that when I finally got her out of the classroom I couldn't help it: "Who do you think you are, miss queen of the world, DAMN IT!?".

The rest of the students were silent and someone whispered: "The teacher said a bad word"

Rolling Eyes

I was like, oh my dog, now what?

We have to learn to control ourselves in this kind of situations. I know that was a big mistake I made and I am sure it won't happen again.
RedRose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dixie, I totally understand how you feel about the mistake you made in your class. for you, it'll never happen again, but for me, I can't tell. Because those words often slip out from my mouth unexpectly.

I recall, back in my college years, one day, my boyfriend told me that his parents would come to our college to visit us in about 24 hours, and he warned me that I should act like a good girl in front of her parents, because her parents were polite people, who never yelled and spoke foul language, at least he never found them do, so I was supposed to never say any dirty words with them. I nodded:"ok, I will try, but I am not sure I can do it well."

At the beginning, when we met his parents at the airport, everything was going fine, we talked, ate stuff, had fun... and his parents seemed satisfied with me. BUT! the next day, we went to the cinema, we watched a breathtaking movie...I was so attracted to the movie I forgot their existance. I was watching the character of the movie try to kill his wife because his wife cheated on him, the details were very scary, and the character seemed very evil, so I cursed:"the son of b-itch! deserves a green cap! his wife should have slept with more men! f-ucking b-astard! he will be rendered impotent!"

Later my boyfriend told me:"you know what? my parents got scared and shocked when you cursed in the cinema! and now they really think I am such a nice boy because I can get along with you! Very Happy "

I said:"so what? you owe me a lot! without me, your parents wouldn't have found your excellent quality. a loss may turn out to be a gain." Laughing
ad-miral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you were trying to act politely whereas you didn't have to.

This is a nice topic to discuss, I think. Basically, and also to my mind, everybody should be himself. He shouldn't change his style in order to get a boy/-girlfriend.

This German girl thought I was a bad guy because I'm foreign, because I hang out with everybody, because she saw me punching a boy (only for frightening) and I was so stupid I even said "Yeah, I'm a bad guy." Laughing

If I told her: "I'm a good guy." maybe she would have been my gf years ago and I didn't have to hang around with the bad girl.
RedRose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad-miral wrote:
If I told her: "I'm a good guy." maybe she would have been my gf years ago and I didn't have to hang around with the bad girl.

But bad girls are more attractive, you know? if you get more experiences about girl in the future, you will know what I mean.
ad-miral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad girls are more attractive?
Comeon RR, pls explain it to me...
hoshi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a dirty talk in class with an english teacher who gave us some pics from the magazines and the pics had boys and girls. He told us "choose the ones who are more attractive for you" and I took a pic of a "30-something woman" and he asked why Shocked and I never lie so I told her about my sexfriend and the class was taslking about sex, preservatives, cute girls and boys... Laughing and after the class 2 girls asked me for dating Wink hahaha Razz
ad-miral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green hoshi the Casanova (you must be very handsome)
Dixie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoshi wrote:
preservatives

Be careful hoshi, that's a false friend. "Preservative" is not the English equivalent of Spanish "preservativo".
mohamed101

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing hey every1!!! sup ya'll,,,,, I haven't visited this site for while and 2day I did, but luckly I have found some intersting topics. just lyk diz 1!!!! actually there are some teachers who uses dirty words in da class room.. lyk F^&king h*ll or damn it... but it'z not cool 4 proffesional ppl 2 use 'em.. however students do too, most of da tym and it doesn't make any difference.... we Use it in my skool but I never use those words when am home wiz my son and my parents. so don't fyl bad if U R a teacher and U accidently used those words cuz the more U fyl bad da more U come attach 2 it........
cgage2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was growing up, this kind of language was considered low class or juvenile. Usage seems to grow in direct proportion to the down swing of traditional values. Just because you hear it constantly on western TV/movies do not think that it is acceptable among civilized and cultured people.
However, if you drop an anvil on your foot......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: