Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dirty talk in a class
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who declined to go out with someone because she said he wrote like a twelve-year-old instead of an adult. (He was 24.) I find it very difficult to read "1337" (leet) speak. Just as people often use what we call different "registers" to speak with their friends, their parents, their teachers, etc., there can be different registers for writing. I think using all the Internet abbreviations is okay with your friends who are doing the same, but posting on a message board like this, you may lose some readers.
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorikeet wrote:
I think using all the Internet abbreviations is okay with your friends who are doing the same, but posting on a message board like this, you may lose some readers.

Lose readers?

Trying to read that post was like skiing on bubble gum. Confused

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
--Dr. Seuss
RedRose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorikeet wrote:
I have a friend who declined to go out with someone because she said he wrote like a twelve-year-old instead of an adult. (He was 24.) I find it very difficult to read "1337" (leet) speak. Just as people often use what we call different "registers" to speak with their friends, their parents, their teachers, etc., there can be different registers for writing. I think using all the Internet abbreviations is okay with your friends who are doing the same, but posting on a message board like this, you may lose some readers.

I always have a hard time getting those annoying abbreviations, they are a pain in the a-ss.

But some abbreviations are funny, Like here we call Bathroom WC, I didn't know what it meant. But my friend told me that it meant "water and cake". Just think about it, Very Happy what do you want to give away in the bathroom? Wink
Dixie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedRose wrote:

But some abbreviations are funny, Like here we call Bathroom WC, I didn't know what it meant. But my friend told me that it meant "water and cake". Just think about it, Very Happy what do you want to give away in the bathroom? Wink

Water and cake Laughing Laughing My students were discussing about WC the other day. What a pity I didn't think of water & cake!! Laughing
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"WC" = "Water Closet"

An early name for toilets in Britain.

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
--Dr. Seuss
RedRose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beancurdturtle wrote:
"WC" = "Water Closet"

An early name for toilets in Britain.

"Water Closet"? That sounds so unromantic Shocked I don't like it. I prefer water and cake Very Happy

ok, here let me give you guys one more test: what does "WTF" mean? it's an abbreviation too. Razz
ad-miral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water Closet sounds too unromantic? Laughing Then what about World Cup? Mr. Green

WTF is the World Teakwondo Federation It's the world leader for the olympic Teakwondo tournaments.

But I rather think you want to hear What The F*ck or Who/Where/Why the f*ck.
RedRose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad-miral wrote:
It's the world leader for the olympic Teakwondo tournaments.

But I rather think you want to hear What The F*ck or Who/Where/Why the f*ck.

No, no, WTF means World Travel Fair Laughing

See? you must be VERY disappointed Laughing Laughing
Snake777

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHHA What the heck ! I thought WTF was What the F@#$
And Redrose !! U said bad girls re more attractive ???!!!!!!!! Hhah how ?! u gotta explain ^o^
And to me , its okay for teachers to say bad words ( just dont abuse it ) =] I had some like that at highschool and they were AWESOME !
RedRose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snake777 wrote:
HAHHA What the heck ! I thought WTF was What the F@#$
And Redrose !! U said bad girls re more attractive ???!!!!!!!! Hhah how ?! u gotta explain ^o^
And to me , its okay for teachers to say bad words ( just dont abuse it ) =] I had some like that at highschool and they were AWESOME !

Yeah, bad girls are more attractive. I have seen many gentlemen fall in love with them, insanely. I don't know why. I guess that's because bad girls are more natural, less pretending and prudish.

FYI, as a teacher, I am not supposed to speak foul language in class, but as a regular person, I do curse sometimes. Don't you think that dirty talk can put us in a good mood sometimes?

For me, it works, most of the time Laughing Laughing
ad-miral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I don't like bad girls, already the adjective "bad" is a negative hint.
RedRose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad-miral wrote:
well, I don't like bad girls, already the adjective "bad" is a negative hint.

"bad" may not be an appropriate word, how about "evil girl"? Very Happy
ad-miral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing oh, now I understand you! However, girls are all more or less evil in their own way.
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad-miral wrote:
Laughing oh, now I understand you! However, girls are all more or less evil in their own way.

You crack me up ad-miral.

--Dr. Seuss
lancesky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a graduate in wuhan,china. getting used to speaking the dirty words, i cannot help bursting them out in public. it is a real an embrassment when i talked it before a girl student. no rules or regulations for the usage of language must bear the responsibility. students,esp in junior middle school and high school, are prone to usage of dirty language. so it is commmonly heard in the university campus.

probably,the words you saild has nothing to do with your career and position. only pressure or character account for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: