Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Henry James

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClarissaMach

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Henry James Reply with quote

I've read "The awkward age" and I'm currently reading "The ambassadors", both written by Henry James. Sometimes I found it so hard! Is his style a little bit more complex when compared to other American and English authors or have I simply grown dumb?
pugachevV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry James IS difficult to read.
He's generally lauded as one of the greatest writers, but I don't like his style at all.
ClarissaMach

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, pugachevV.

I've finished "The ambassadors" and I'm planning to read "The portrait of a lady".
suesummers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I've just finished "The Portrait of a Lady". Tell me what you think of it once you're done.
ClarissaMach

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I promiss you I'll post my comments if I manage to read "The portrait of a lady", but it will surely take a long time... Currently I'm reading other books: "The Prestes Column", "As barbas do imperador Dom Pedro II" - roughly translating, "(Brazilian) Emperor Pedro II's beard" -, "L'etranger" (my first book in French) and "Forma��o econ�mica do Brasil" (something like Brazil's economic foundation).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: