Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you think about gay-themed shows?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon Young

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry about rose's story. if they like each other but not interferes other's life that will just be ok. but they threatened! how terrible

by the way, Mercury was a gay,the frontman of Queen, but i still like their music, he died form ADIS
Raven767

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RedRose"]I know I am not supposed to discriminate against homosexual, however, I just can't help...my homophobia just comes out from the bottom of my heart.[/quote]

Almost everyone uses the term "homophobia" wrong, as you did here.

I am not afraid of gays (HOMOPHOBIA), I just think the lifestyle is disgusting. If I was hiring or looking for friends, would I discriminate? No. I have a friend who is gay and he understands my point as I understand his life. I have worked with many gays and have no problem with their work.

However, I think the flamboyant gays who dress and act girlish are a little over-the-top and need to be sneered or snickered at.
Raven767

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: But... to address your question Reply with quote

What I find disgusting is the fact that almost every show has at least one gay and many have has many as 20%.

I teach in Seoul and I hav taught in Taiwan. Many of the folks I have talked with here and there ask why there are so many gays in America. Once I explain that the TV programs are made in NYC and California and that is where the gays live and work, they understand.

I don't mind a show like "America's Top Model" where almost everyone is either a woman or gay. But, a few years ago, on "Amazing Race", 5 of the 24 participants were gay and they always seem to have a gay couple on there. That is not representative.
RedRose

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven767 wrote:
[
However, I think the flamboyant gays who dress and act girlish are a little over-the-top and need to be sneered or snickered at.

Is that what we call "transvestist" in English?
Raven767

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RedRose"][quote="Raven767"][However, I think [b]the flamboyant gays who dress and act girlish [/b]are a little over-the-top and need to be sneered or snickered at.[/quote]

Is that what we call "transvestist" in English?[/quote]

No. A transvestite is someone who compulsively dresses in the opposite sex's clothing.

I mean, guys who wear girls shirts and walk like girls and wear make-up, etc.

I at least respect Thais 'lady boys', they know who they want to be and try to be that way but do not try to deceive (if asked).
RedRose

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven767 wrote:

I at least respect Thais 'lady boys', they know who they want to be and try to be that way but do not try to deceive (if asked).

Not really. Basically, they don't originally want to be she-men. Most of them were sent or sold to the traders in human beings by their families. They were born of poor families. their parents sell one boy to the traders so as to make a good living for the family.

Poor boys, brutal parents, twisted society.
Raven767

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that is very accurate. I would check my source.

Why would anyone 'buy a boy' and then pay for expensive operations when he grows up? There are literally 1000s of young ladies coming from the promises willing to give up their bodies for their families. They do not want to do it, but they know they can make more.

It is worse when they come to Bangkon to work in a factory and then become the managers' sex slave.
hoby

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have some gay friends,but nothing goes wrong.
They are just same like us.we still talk about acctractive girls a lot.
at least none of them is she-man as mentioned above.
sometimes i even joked that i should join them..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: