Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

earthquake!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grizzly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: earthquake! Reply with quote

I live in Taiwan and we have earthquakes quite often. The latest big quake that hit Taiwan happened in the central island on September 21, 1999. It's known as the 921 Earthquake. Thousands of people lost their lives. Houses collapsed and farms destroyed. The whole island were left powerless for days. Natural disasters like earthquakes cannot be avoided. What we can do is to make sure that our buildings are built according to housing codes.
The recent quake in Iran brought back memories of 921 Quake. Many more people lost their lives or were injured in this quake. Their mud or brick houses couldn't protect them from the devestation of the quake. The world is a much smaller place now that we know instantly what happens in the other parts of the world. I'm touched that people from other nations are helping out.
Diana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Earthquake in Iran Reply with quote

My heart goes out to the Iranian people. I heard that the death toll may rise to 50,000. Sad A few lucky survivors were pulled out including a baby girl. I am glad to see that so many countries are pulling together to help in the quake victims.

We also have earthquakes in Guam, but we have been more fortunate so far. The biggest earthquake we had was in 1993, which registered at 8.2 on the Ritcher Scale. This is more than Iran's 6.6 earthquake, but we were fortunate that no one was killed. There were a few injuries but no casualities.
barrymore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: sad!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes I have watch lots of pictures which were taken in IRAN earthquake..... A boy who grasped a contemplative necklace has been died in the earthquake... Sad I think he must be pray the god when he was caught in mud... and many old woman had been cring sadly...
kila

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: earthquake Reply with quote

Japan has small earthquakes quite often too because Japan is the island country. Recently Japanese meteorological agency is warning that there is possibility that the big earthquake happens in Japan. It says that the damage will bigger than the big earthquake which was caused 9 years before in Hyogo. That earthquake killed thousands of people.
This thing is said to from several years ago but yet, the earthquake doesn't occur.
I live in near the city which forecasted city to hypocenter, so I was worried when I saw the news that the earthquake occurred nearby my city.
I think that the earthquake killing many people in addition to breaks the whole area. And it takes a lot of time and money to revival of the damage area. Many people preparation earthquake provision goods in their house.
[color=darkblue][/color]
Passerby

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I think about earthquake, I feel my life is diminishing and I'd be cringing into my own shell terribly hope that thsi kind of natural desaster would never incur on me and on the people I know.

Back then, I was sound sleeping. The only thing I sensed from my sleep was the trembling in my bed and a fancy of my roomates mischief. Never had I thought that was a quake. The next day, I was completely shocked and learned that the little quiver in my bed then was the time that claimed thousands of nationals of the island.

Yes, that's really ridiculous. I'd never be able to tell the horror and fear of a life-threatening quake only when once I'm personally involved. The Iran's disaster is indesscibable, and now, I'm saying that is terrible but right behind this, I'm entirely noive, and childish to have a comment that. What I'm saying is only based on my knowledge or say, common sense, but for those in Iran, just like those in the middle of Taiwan back then, they are braver than ever to talk about us.

Passerby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: