Site Search:
 
Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you think about terrorism?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
piyabude



Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: What do you think about terrorism? Reply with quote

International terrorism is the biggest problem that occurs now. The whole world is paying attention to this situation. Economic crisis, sicial problem and political problem are influenced by violence and terrorism. Many countries are damaged from these situations such as USA, Saudi Arabia, Israel etc. All of these countries should find a solution to solve these problems. One of the solutions to protect them from terrorism is, to check all of tourists who enter and exit their countries. What do you think about it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tamaaor



Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a big problem. They should find the solution to solve it because it has affect to the countries which have terrorism. I think one of solution to protect them is, to issue a law for terrorism and the law should strict and distinct
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Anxious Heart



Joined: 02 Dec 2003
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piyabude wrote:
International terrorism is the biggest problem that occurs now.


Are you sure? I know, that this is a question of definition, but what about those human beeings, living in Africa, Asia or South America, who are dying exactly in that moment, because they've got nothing to eat or because of epidemics etc.... I assume, there are more people dying because of that, than people, dying because of terrorist attacks.

Quote:
Economic crisis, sicial problem and political problem are influenced by violence and terrorism.


I think, that works upside down, too. Did you ever think about reasons for terrorism? I suppose economic crisis, social problems and political problems are important factors for that thought.

Quote:
One of the solutions to protect them from terrorism is, to check all of tourists who enter and exit their countries.


I guess, that won't work. You can't solve a problem fighting against its consequences. You have two find the reason and try to eliminate it. I know, that this sounds much more easier than it is done, but by answering terrorism with terrorism, nobody will get happy.....


Greets, Anxi
_________________
"An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind." Mahatma Gandhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oinrocinu



Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Posts: 76
Location: Barcelona, Spain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anxi, I agree with you.

piyabude, what would you feel if you go, for example, to France adn they check you? This was another "Bush great idea", as so many...

I don't know what do you watch on TV but, for instance, I can see millions of children that must work because they don't have anything to eat. And the problem is that there are few people who have or control the 75% of the wealth of the planet. And this is an economical problem.

I think that the terrorism is, on one hand, a religious, and on the other hand, a "consequece" of the economic crisis and social and political problems (not the "reason" but the "consequence").

But, well, this is just my opinion. Only one thing: where are you from?

L.
_________________
Para sentir no bastan cinco sentidos...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
angle



Joined: 22 Nov 2003
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Iím Thai boy. I interested in the story about the terrorism since I heard name of one person, his name is Bin la den . I would like to know this story in your opinion too.

I thank that the people have different idea with this topic. I assume, someone believes that it is the biggest problem because they got affect or consequence from the terrorism attacking directly. However, someone donít believes that it is the biggest problem because they got not affect or consequence from the terrorism attacking directly and they seen the situation from T.V.

In my opinion, I think that the terrorism is a important problem and they must hurry solve it because it is dangerous for people and place in the region and it is back ground of the people wanted anti the government in that counties such as at south state in Thailand, the terrorism attacked the police station and military camp for it wanted a arms of them and the sneak burn the school about 10 place every years. In addition, the government lost of money to protect the terrorism proximity 100 millions $ every years. If the countries with out the terrorism, the government in that countries can induce this money to solve other problem in the countries example economic , in need of food etc.

Last, I believes that many countries in the world receiving this problem and I think that this problem intensifying every day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oinrocinu



Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Posts: 76
Location: Barcelona, Spain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, in Spain, we have "ETA", a terrorism grup, and I know what are you saying, but I think that there are a lot of differents kinds of terrorism. And, about Bin la Den, well, it was really awful, but if 2700 people died in NY, 27000 die every week because they don't have food. And they are innocent too (so, terrorism is a big problem, but not the biggest one). And, finially, I think that, in some sense, many of the terrorists are or have been supported by a lot of governments, even these governments that, now, are their "enemies" (we have a recent example with Iraq).
_________________
Para sentir no bastan cinco sentidos...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Anxious Heart



Joined: 02 Dec 2003
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

angle wrote:
In my opinion, I think that the terrorism is a important problem and they must hurry solve it because it is dangerous for people and place in the region and it is back ground of the people wanted anti the government in that counties [...]


There was no doubt about, whether this problem needs a solution. The main question is, how to solve it. And there is the problem. Does it really help, checking every single person arriving in this country? Will the anger of the terrorists (who are also human beings, so there has to be a reason, why they do so) end? I guess, they will think of new ways to attack the country (another sad thing: often they don't attack the government, but the civilists Sad) and as you can see (WTC), they are very creative.

Greets, Anxi
_________________
"An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind." Mahatma Gandhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bancha_011



Joined: 11 Nov 2003
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi every body. Shocked
Very Happy I am a Thai boy. I interested in terrorism. Because in my country has a terrorism problem.
In my opinion, I think International terrorism is the biggest problem that occurs now.
Because in the world have a war. A big cause of war is terrorism. Now, in any where of the world have terrorism such America, Europe, Asia till in my country Thailand.
My country is on South East Asia. My country has a problem about terrorism in south of country. Recently, the government confronted of terrorism.
The government wants to wipe up terrorism. Because recently the terrorism to fire in school. Next, they attack a military camp to rob a weapon.
The effects from terrorism are people in nervousness, Social problem and Economic Crisis. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Because when the country has a terrorism problem tourist donít to visit that place. Embarassed
Conclusion, I strongly agree with piyabude that terrorism is a biggest problem in the
World. Idea
_________________
powered by Bancha011>>edrit<<>>edrit<<INC


Last edited by bancha_011 on Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oinrocinu



Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Posts: 76
Location: Barcelona, Spain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But do you say that the reason of the existence of wars is the terrorism? This isn't true...
_________________
Para sentir no bastan cinco sentidos...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Yodmongkol



Joined: 11 Nov 2003
Posts: 30
Location: Thailand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55555555555
_________________
Zerdee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Excalibur



Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oinrocinu wrote:
Anxi, I agree with you.

piyabude, what would you feel if you go, for example, to France adn they check you? This was another "Bush great idea", as so many...

I don't know what do you watch on TV but, for instance, I can see millions of children that must work because they don't have anything to eat. And the problem is that there are few people who have or control the 75% of the wealth of the planet. And this is an economical problem.

I think that the terrorism is, on one hand, a religious, and on the other hand, a "consequece" of the economic crisis and social and political problems (not the "reason" but the "consequence").

But, well, this is just my opinion. Only one thing: where are you from?

L.

_________________
I could dance with you till the cows come home...On second thought, I'd rather dance with the cows when you came home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Excalibur



Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiii Sad
I have just read interesting and respectful ideas here but I have to differ with some of them. I think terrorism is a consequence of social, economic problems I agree with this opinion. But on the other side, it can be justificied that in order to resolve it the only way is to support terrorist group??????. The question is, supporting terrorism the countries will be able to reach politics results. I hope not. Although I share the idea that hunger is one of the most important problem in the world. I have never supported and justified the creation of terrorist groups in poor countriesto solve it. So that, the richer countries would star to give back the money which had stolen before.
_________________
I could dance with you till the cows come home...On second thought, I'd rather dance with the cows when you came home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anxious Heart



Joined: 02 Dec 2003
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
The question is, supporting terrorism the countries will be able to reach politics results. I hope not. Although I share the idea that hunger is one of the most important problem in the world. I have never supported and justified the creation of terrorist groups in poor countriesto solve it. So that, the richer countries would star to give back the money which had stolen before.

I guess, noone in here told, that terroristic groups should be supported. But just as little the solution for this problem ist checking every incoming person at the airport or wherever.
I suppose, your last thought is difficult. Even if "the richer countries" would give the money, they had "stolen" (this is also difficult... "they had stolen" would mean "everyone living in this country, it doesn't matter when", I think, that is the same like judging about "the Amaricans" - to judge about a country, a continent or a social class in general means to make no difference.), this would be not the way, it ought to be. The people, who have enough money should give the money to those, who haven't got enough money, because they think, it is right. I know, that this is a Utopia, but that would be, what I call equality.
_________________
"An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind." Mahatma Gandhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oinrocinu



Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Posts: 76
Location: Barcelona, Spain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How curious!, we started to write about USA and controls to avoid the terrorism and now we are speaking about the solidarity related to the countries in order to avoid this terrorism...

Well, I wanted to know what do you think about Islamic kamikazes. What do you think that is the last thing in theirs minds? They have family and they know that they will die because "they want" (in the sense that they can avoid it). Is religion so determinant?

L.
_________________
Para sentir no bastan cinco sentidos...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Excalibur



Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anxious Heart wrote:
[The people, who have enough money should give the money to those, who haven't got enough money, because they think, it is right. I know, that this is a Utopia, but that would be, what I call equality.


I strongly agree with you. Economics inequality is one of the most important problem in the world as well. something should be done.
_________________
I could dance with you till the cows come home...On second thought, I'd rather dance with the cows when you came home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2011 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teachers College, Columbia University: Train to Teach English Here or Abroad
SIT
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group