Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Friendship Day!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suesummers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Friendship Day! Reply with quote

What do you feel is the best way t celebrate Friendship Day?
pugachevV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore it - it's a b u l l s h it, touchy - feely farce to make the politicians appear to be doing something useful.
suesummers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord!!
Why are you getting so worked up? I just wanted suggestions to do something really special for my friends.
pugachevV

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a suggestion.
Why does any form of disagreement equate to my being worked up?
In fact, I am quite laid back about it.
There is too much phony friendship in the world and not enough sincere and honest regard for each other. Real friends do not need to have an officially sanctioned "day" for it.
Take off your rose-coloured glasses and look around you at the world.
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find these "days" silly, but support them, nonetheless. Er.. actually oppose fundamentalist groups / culture police (in my country) who think valentine's day and such are an invasion of western culture or more so a Vatican conspiracy to destroy Indian culture!
Bob S.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this holiday involve any kind of food? I'm all for any holiday of any culture if it involves some kind of traditional cuisine or alcoholic beverage. St. Valentine's Day, Easter, Moon Festival, Maslenitsa, Oktoberfest, you name it. Very Happy

Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh.. I love holidays, food and festivals too. What disgust me are days related to human relations - mother's / father's / lover's / son's / aunt's / friends' day, or more specifically how the media or retailers have hijacked them for profit. Also relations are personal, and not gadgets to be flaunted. That said, I don't write them off completely. It helps super busy people, or those who are so immersed in their spouses / partners that they give don't give a dime to their parents, to take out time *at least once in a year* and show some concern to their family members. The message in such case is - "remember them at least once a year" and not "remember them only once a year".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: