Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

problem in learning englsih
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: To Winnie And Wing Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
No, I'm not a native speaker. To me English is only an hobby like gardening for somebody else. A wonderful gateway to the world. I usually go to Britain around two weeks per year but it's not enough to improve your efficiency. So I try to practise during the year here in those different forums. The Chinese language is certainly more difficult than the English one and with all these signs everywhere:" I will be lost in the supermarket" In English, I think they usually say "It's all greek", in French we used to say "that's Chinese".

--
Lost In The Supermarket/London Calling/The Clash (1979)

How interesting! Actually, it is not that difficult except for remembering how to write the Chinese characters. You may feel it is funny some of the Chinese are likely to decribe a passage long of written English as 'chicken intestines' for the sake of its thin, cable-like shape. The meaning is equivalent to "It's all greek to me".
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: To Wing Reply with quote

Just remembered that we also say in French "it's all Hebrew to me". I think it's related to the signs or the types of writings of those different cultures. Certainly, it was easier for you to get the English language especially from Hong Kong but is it the same for a Chinese coming from the deep countryside even if he has the chance to go to a state university?
wing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: To Chris Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
Just remembered that we also say in French "it's all Hebrew to me". I think it's related to the signs or the types of writings of those different cultures. Certainly, it was easier for you to get the English language especially from Hong Kong but is it the same for a Chinese coming from the deep countryside even if he has the chance to go to a state university?

China's educational system consists of four levels: preschool, elementary, secondary and tertiary education. Most elementary schools in the cities already begin offering foreign language courses like English to pupils.

In countryside, to the best of my knowledge, most schools are run by people's communes rather than those in the cities run by the state. That means partial financial supports from government aside, their financial supports come from different places to run the schools. If the communes are rich, there should be no problem with paying for teachers' salaries, educational materials etc. and offering facilities for languages and other subjects. Otherwise, they keep running the schools with little resources that affect the quality of education.

Well, if he successfully gets into a university, I am sure 'he' feels much easier to obtain English than before as most universities provide students with specialized libraries, language laboratories, AV rooms, computer centers and so on.
Silence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: problem in learning englsih Reply with quote

winnie wrote:
people always says there're no short cut to learn english!
and i think that is true!! so i need to work hard!and i think
learning english by watching films is really fantastic!!do u agree?

but i still don't know how to improve my written english! how to build up my own style! can anybody teach me?!

Hi Winnie,
I am a junior high school student.
Thank you for your idea of improving English by watching film, because I finally find an excuse to persude my mom let me watch TV.
winnie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Dear Silence Reply with quote

Dear Silence,
I am pleased to hear from you!
Indeed , learning English by watching films is really a good and enjoyable way! Besides i think listen to some old engish songs is also good , which you can learn vocabulary and may be some grammar with pleasing melody!!
I hope that you can make use of these chances and get benefits from it! Very Happy

Oh , forget to introduce myself !
my name is Winnie , a Hong Konger . I am 18 years old!
So how about you!?

yours,
winnie Very Happy
Rey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Winnie,

Thank you for your suggestions on how to improve english.
anything else that we could do beside watch tv and listen to radio ?
Thanks again Smile
Quote:
pugachevV

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: DVD Reply with quote

I notice that many films on DVD come with subtitles in several languages. This would be an excellent learning tool.
winnie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: dear Rey Reply with quote

Hi Rey ,
nice to meet you ! Very Happy
Indeed learning englsih by wathing tv / films is really a very enjoyable way!
On the other hand , i think you can read more and more books!(story books , magazines....etc) memorize those words which you've come across!And try to use it in your daily life , writing or diary !
i am pleased that we can share together! Very Happy

winnie Wink
fufu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Learning English is hard . When I want to conversation with someone in English,I can't speak fluently.all most time ,I speak chinese,I have no chance to speak English...
How can I improve conversation and listening??? Confused
john222

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Learning English Reply with quote

An an American I find it difficult to make this comment, but I believe you should view some British BBC tapes or British documentaries, if you want to hear proper english and grammar.

The entire Sherlock Holmes series is now on audiotape, and the presentation, correctness, and speech is wonderful. You can enjoy yourself listening to these tapes, as well.
fufu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Learning English Reply with quote

thank you john222 Laughing
I think you are right but I can't understand what they are talking about..
Should I understand unknow words in that ?
dduck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The entire Sherlock Holmes series is now on audiotape, and the presentation, correctness, and speech is wonderful. You can enjoy yourself listening to these tapes, as well.

How old is this series? Sherlock Holmes uses a lot of intellectual language and sounds "frightfully stuck-up". Wink in my opinion.

I would recommend listening to internet radio, watching DVDs (or VCDs) with subtitles and contemporary audiobooks e.g. Harry Potter.

Surely, the US has something of value to offer? Cool

Iain

Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself.
--Chinese Proverb
Diana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Learning English Reply with quote

john222 wrote:
An an American I find it difficult to make this comment, but I believe you should view some British BBC tapes or British documentaries, if you want to hear proper english and grammar.

One of my problems when I was growing up was pronunciation. I don't think I can imitate the British accent (especially when everyone around me is speaking different languages and accents). I must admit though, the British and Australians have a sexy accent. Very Happy Although I don't think I can pronounce words the way they do, I wouldn't mind listening to them talk all day long. Very Happy
Rozsika's ESL Development

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: ESL Tips: A Guide to Improving Your English Reply with quote

Try looking at the website www.esltips.com it has a great book to help you improve your English in all areas.
isis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: I need help Reply with quote

hi ........ mi name is Isis I dont know speak english... So I puertorican girl and I goin to Rhode Island in the next semetre... I need some friends for my english calss . Iam 19 years old and I will need youre help I will realy apreciated you ........... see you Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: