Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lirerary devices in poems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: lirerary devices in poems Reply with quote

Hi everybody
I would like to know what the literary devices in poems are.I know irony,similie,metaphore,ryme and rythem but what are the others?
oinrocinu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm not going to say anything about the poems (but I like them, of course). This is just a question: Does your name come from a mathematical concept (the classifying space of a topological group?)? It's just a curiosity Smile

Lola
lou clamdip

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick up a copy of "Perrine's Sound and Sense: An Introduction to Poetry," by Laurence Perrine, Thomas R. Arp, ed. Harcourt Brace Publishers.

This is an excellent text for learning about poetry and for teaching poetry.
LucentShade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew what they were at some point, but there's too many to recall and type here.
Mary Cat

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: poetic devices! Reply with quote

so, you already know - irony, simile, metaphor, rhyme, and rhythm... there are a TON of others, but off the top of my head, here are just a few more:
metonymy - talking about a poem within a poem
- talking about the part as representative of the whole *(there's a name for that, but it eludes me at the moment)
- by rhythm, you probably mean the number of syllables to a line... there's pentameter, which you're probably heard about as associated with Elizabethan sonnets and shakespeare (he wrote a lot in iambic pentameter, which is offbeat onbeat five times a line) and any number of other "ameters" depending on the number of syllables...
alliteration - starting consecutive words with the same letter or sound
assonance - using the same vowel sound within different words
consonance - same consonant sounds within different words
half rhyme, which isn't exact, but is similar sounds
and then there are a ton of forms of poems... free verse, sonnets, villanelles, sestinas, blank verse... i recommend you get that book the other person recommended! a lot of these things aren't necessarily "poetic" but are just facts of language... like onamonopoeia, certain sounds resonating differently on the ear (staccato-like harsh sounds versus "soft" sounds, etc.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: