Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Resource for Learning American English

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Englishteacher24-7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Help Resource for Learning American English Reply with quote

Greetings Everyone!

Please allow me to introduce myself, I go by the name of Englishteacher24-7 and it is my goal to help as many serious ESL students to learn American English as possible.

If you learn English and don't begin to learn American English, you will have trouble understanding English as spoken in the United States.
Therefore, the strategy for you is to locate good resources to help you learn American English.

The English spoken by most Americans in the United States is full of phrases, idioms, and slang. English textbooks do not teach this material, therefore, ESL students do not learn ACTUAL ENGLISH that is spoken in everyday life, only Formal written English.

Therefore, if you want to learn American English, you will want to visit my postings on this website often and express your thoughts. Let me know what your concerns are and how I can help you. You can consider me as your online English teacher.

It is easier to learn English by learning phrases than it is to learn English by learning each word. This is how children learn to speak English, not by learning a huge vocabulary list, but rather by learning to express themselves using phases, such as: "I'm hungry" or "I want to go outside", their vocabulary is increased by having a need for it!

Therefore, you can use your time more productively by decreasing the time and money spent on grammar and formal written English and increasing the amount of time to learn phrases and the understanding of simple reading material.

For those of you who want to speak and understand the English spoken in everyday life in the United States and to become fluent, you must spend time on American English Phrases.

I hope this information is helpful for you, let me know your comments.
I plan to start teaching here soon!
Smile [/i]
Englishteacher24-7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Lesson No. 1 - First Steps in Learning English - Familiarize Reply with quote

Is English difficult? Any language can be difficult to new learners of the language. We can learn in very practical ways that can make it easier to learn. Here are some suggestions:

1. Make a list of 10 items that are around you and write them down in your own language.
2. Now write them in English.
3. Pronounce them in English.
4. Write them in a sentence.
5. Repeat until you know them from memory.

It would be helpful to record yourself and re-play it to assess your progress.
Please return for the next lesson. Comments are welcomed!
Englishteacher24-7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Comments Are Required to Continue Writing Reply with quote

To All Readers,

The only way I can judge the interest level for my writing is to receive comments from the readers. If there are no comments, then I have no feedback and have to consider if I should continue to provide information on learning English. Therefore, if you want me to continue writing about learning English please vote yes by writing a comment, vote no by not writing a comment. It is your choice!
waqar amin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: waqar amin Reply with quote

very helpful but i have tried this option once but now i want to explore more on this
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Englishteacher24-7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Next Step in English Lesson Reply with quote

The next step in this practical English lesson is to take the words of the items that you have identified in the first lesson and write them into a short story. After wards, read the short story to someone or yourself and record it on a digital or cassette recorder. Play it to analyze your speech.

By the way, many people who learn English do not understand native English speakers in the United States because of the many idioms and phrases that are mingled in with the language. Therefore I have written a mini ebook with 10 mini lessons on "Understanding American English Phrases," if you're interested contact me at my email address: [email protected]
Englishteacher24-7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Importance of Understanding American Phrases Reply with quote

Americans use a lot of phrases and idioms in everyday speech. Therefore, if your intent is to communicate and understand authentic American English, you will have to learn what they mean. Here is a link to explanations of various phrases.
http://www.englishbaby.com/forum/TeacherTalk/thread/390410

Have a nice day!
Englishteacher24-7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: New Mini Lesson Posted! Reply with quote

Here is an updated link to my mini lesson series. I'm preparing a new lesson on "Analyzing a Child's Method of Learning to Speak English Fluently"
Follow my lessons for more information.

http://www.englishbaby.com/forum/TeacherTalk/thread/390410?page=8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: