Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speak With Confidence: Business English You'll Need

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnglishLCI

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Speak With Confidence: Business English You'll Need Reply with quote

Talking on the phone may present Business English students with a number of difficulties. Firstly, you will be unable to see the person speaking - this will make it harder to understand what is being said without the support of body language or being able to watch the person�s mouth pronounce the words. Also, there is different set of words and phrases people commonly use when on the phone. It�s a good idea to become familiar with them so you can answer the phone and speak with confidence when required.

MAKING A CALL

Introducing yourself / Making a request to speak to someone

Hi, my name is John Smith. May I speak to Sarah Brown?

Hi, I�m calling to speak to Sarah Brown.

Good morning / Good afternoon - this is John Smith from the ABC Company. Please may I speak to Sarah Brown?

RECEIVING A CALL

How to answer the phone

Good morning / Good afternoon. This is John Smith from the ABC Company. How may I help you?

Yes, this John Smith speaking. How may I help you?

Thank you for calling the ABC Company. How may I direct your call?

Connecting someone

One moment please, I�ll transfer you right now.

Please could you hold and I�ll put you through.

Let me see if Jim Andrews is available.

Putting someone on hold

Jim Andrews is on the other line. Would you like to hold?

Jim Andrews is just away from his desk. Would you mind holding?

I�m sorry, could you hold for just a moment?

DURING THE CALL

When you don�t understand something

I�m sorry, I didn�t understand that. Could you please repeat it?

I�m sorry, I didn�t catch what you just said. Would you mind repeating?

I�m having difficulties understanding what you are saying. Would you mind repeating a little more slowly / a little more loudly?

Clarifying what you have heard

Could you please spell that for me?

How do you spell that?

Let me repeat your information to make sure I have got it right.

Your company�s name is �The XYZ Company� - is that right?

Taking a message for someone

I�m sorry, Jim Andrews is not here at the moment. Can I take a message?

Jim is currently in a meeting. May I ask who�s calling? I can take a message.

Jim Andrews isn�t available at the moment. Can I put you through to his voicemail?

Leaving a message for someone / Leaving a voicemail

This is John Smith calling from The ABC Company. My number is 703 333 1234. Please could he / she / you call me back when it is convenient.

This is John Smith calling from The ABC Company. I�m calling regarding (an order that was placed) / (a meeting we have arranged) / (a letter that was sent to me). Please could you / he /she call me back on the following number - 703 333 1234. Thank-you.

Finding out more information

When do you expect him/her back?

Could I leave a voicemail?

ENDING A CONVERSATION

With someone who has called

Thanks for calling. I�ll speak with you again soon.

Thanks for calling. I�ll pass on your message.

With someone you have called.

It�s been good talking to you. Thank-you. Bye.

I better let you go. Thanks very much. Bye.

I�ll touch base with you again in a few days. It�s been good talking to you.

To gain a solid knowledge of good business English that will fuel your success, consider taking an ESL program based in the USA.

If you liked this article, tell all your friends about it. They�ll thank you for it. If you have a blog or website, you can link to it or even post it to your own site (don�t forget to mention our ESL blog as the original source).

Rachel Clarkson
Rachel Clarkson is an English teacher at LCI English ESL Programs and blogger at the ESL Blog.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: