Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When do you "Hi!" to person who don't know?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unamerican

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: When do you "Hi!" to person who don't know? Reply with quote

Since I moved in the U.S.A, I feel like I have been misunderstood by not saying "Hi" to people who just passed me by while I was walking on campus. I do say "Hi" to them whenever it's possible, though, I often miss it because I don't know him or her. Then, when I meet him/her again, they have a bad first impression toward me. I don't know I should whether care about it or not.
Corey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can say "Hi" anytime you want to aknowledge another person. You can use it with people you do not know, but see in class or you can use it to when you first see a friend and want to start a conversation.

Good luck,

Corey
unamerican

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Corey,

Thank you very much for your encouragement!!
I will try to change my attitude "waiting-for-someone".

Sorry for late reply,

Unamerican
qioun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi unamerican
how r u. where u from? sorry english is so bad. i want to learn english but noboday help me.if u can help me plzz tell me Crying or Very sad
ok take care
bye
iff u like to help me plzz email me me " [email protected]"
liebe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi unamerican,

where r u from originally? Saying hi differs from one state to another. In Pennsylvania it's not necessary to say hi, it's enough to just smile to all the people you see. The best thing to do is just to say hi to all the people you meet (if it's the custom where you live). It will take time, but after a while you'll stop thinking about it and you'll just do it authomatically.
MARIANA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: sorry................. Reply with quote

hello Surprised
I feel the one of your teacher and feel not answered before a mexican, of mexico(del DF). , Ihave 15 YEARS OLD, CAN YOU SPEAK SPANISH. I SPEAK LITTLE ENGLISH. I hoPE YOUR ANSWER SOON.(prefely in espanish, please9
WRITE TO ME SOON :

MY E_MAIL ADDREESS IS:

[email protected]
[email protected]

bye
the best wishes
Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Culture All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: