Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I turn off my computer or leave it on ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abdul R7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Should I turn off my computer or leave it on ? Reply with quote

Should I turn off my computer or leave it on at the end of the day?

I am a college student and i use my computer alot but sometime I leave it on all day, so does that effect my computer or not?

salvador_1_99

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

Hello I am an graduated electronic Engineer, my point of view is that beyond the fact you could shorter the "life" of your computer It is better to keep it off because of global warming, now regarding your computer inner electronic parts I think some of them are affected if you keep it switched on; for instance capacitors in power supply could lose chemical property and break down creating a mess in your pc supply power, making it stop workin and so on, now as a personal thought about if the time your pc will be reduced leaving it switched on is significant or not I would say it is slightly significant, a friend of mine left his lap-top switched on he had to buy a new battery after a year of usage, at the end it is up to you. I hope my first post helps you.
redset

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salvador's right, the more you leave it on the quicker it will wear out! If you're not going to use it for a while it's better to turn it off.

Use Sleep mode if you're turning it off during the day or overnight, it uses almost no power and wakes up much more quickly. If you're not going to use it for a few days then use Shutdown to completely turn it off.
AnaMilena

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I couldn't agree more with you, Redset!!
Indeed, many PC users leave their laptops plugged for a long time during inactivity. Some others leave their laptops turned on all day even though they don't use it. Even though it seems practical, it actually isn't.

A first reason, as Salvador mentioned, is because of global warming. You can't imagine how much harm it causes!! This invisible action emits waves which, in return, damage the ozone layer. Moreover, it also shortens your PC battery life. It reduces even a 50%!

One more reason to turn it off is your system performance. When you don't sleep you get tired and, therefore, you may react more slowly. Exactly the same happens to your PC. When you give it a break by turning it off, it saves memory resources and, as a result, it doesn't overload with information that saturates its performance.

Of course there are many more reasons to turn off the PC instead of leaving it on! Wink

http://english4fun.freeforo.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Computers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: