Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

News in 2011

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnaMilena

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: News in 2011 Reply with quote

Hi, everyone!

Wow, this forum's kind of silent. Specifically this section, even though there are lots of things which have happened.

Three months have been over and, with them, lots of events which have moved the world a lot: the Tunisian, Egyptian and Libyan uprising besides other countries in the Middle East, the earthquake in Japan, the worst outbrake of cholera in Haiti, and for good news, death penalty being abollished in Illinois.

Many things to talk about! Shall we get this thread up-to-date with its worthwhile discussion? Very Happy Very Happy

http://english4fun.freeforo.com
AnaMilena

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz The year's about to come to an end.
Which is, in your opinion, the most outstanding piece of news?

I think the Occupy Movement is one of the most relevant global events, mainly with the Occupy Together movement in October. Despite their impact, this group of people demonstrated the Western World is not paradise, there are serious concerns. The Arab Spring was another issue that reached its top this year, with three main authorities being brought down. The world's still expecting to see the results of such movement.

Any more events which you find memorable?

http://english4fun.freeforo.com
Foodfast04

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this news is really useful. I'm glad and helped by you for this post. Thanks.
ClarissaMach

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I prefer not posting topics about current news because people can react really bad to your opinions.

The Syrian conflict, for example. I guess many Americans joining the forum believe their government efforts towards toppling Assad are right. They might think that the USA is doing that for democracy's sake.

But if you ask Chinese and Russian members to comment over the issue, or Syrian members themselves (if they do exist - I don't remember having read any post from a Syrian participant), they might have a completely different opinion.

As Heraclitus said eons ago, "We must know that war (polemos) is common to all and strife is justice, and that all things come into being through strife necessarily." But my Internet experiences make me dread debate sometimes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: