Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

reading comprehension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasonlulu_2000

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: reading comprehension Reply with quote

[size=12]I was not able to walk. Fortunately, my electric wheelchair gave me lots of freedom. However, as I became older, I realized I couldn’t be too dependent on my electric wheelchair.
My high school graduation was only one month away, and I was determined to roll across the graduation stage in my manual wheelchair instead of the electric one. In order to practice, I began using my manual wheelchair daily at school.
During the first several days, everyone offered to give me a push from class to class, but after a few times of my refusing, everyone got the hint and let me push myself round the school.
I had always received great __1___ from using my manual wheelchair, but when I began to push myself around the school, the personal rewards were far greater than I ever imagined. I not only saw myself differently, but my classmates, too, seemed to view me on a different level.
To me, it was a symbolic point in my life to graduate from high school in my manual wheelchair. I didn’t care if it took me 20 minutes to push across the stage. I wanted to enter my future as an independent young man.
That day, when the announcer called my name, I realized that everything I had struggled for as a child was now a reality. The independent life that I had worked so hard for was now within my grasp.
I pushed myself ever so __2__ toward the front of the stage. I looked up from my concentration on pushing my wheelchair and realized that everyone on the stage was standing to clap. I proudly accepted my diploma, and cried as loud as I could, “I did it!”
1. A. satisfaction B. pressure
From what context can we draw the conclusion that the author received “satisfaction” from using his manual wheelchair?
2. A. slowly B. gently
This is a big moment for the writer. And he is making good preparations and how could he roll so “slowly”? I thought “calmly, steadily” would be a better word?
3. I thought usually people under the stage would stand to clap. People on the stage usually stand. Aren’t “on the stage” redundant?

Thanks for your help!
[/size]
Tao

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion…
First, you don't receive pressure from using the wheelchair…you might receive pressure TO use the wheelchair. So even without support in the context, the structure dictates "satisfaction" be used. The support for the conclusion is in the words "the personal rewards were far greater than I ever imagined…"
Second, maybe he rolls "slowly" in order to savor the moment. Also, he's concentrating on pushing his wheelchair indicating it's not an easy task. Gently would not fit the theme.
Third, I would think people in the audience would stand and clap, but maybe in this case the GRADUATES were seated ON the stage and they were the ones that stood and applauded. The whole audience would not be ON the stage!
I've no idea what this is from but keep in mind that all materials you may be given to read are not necessarily well written, some very poorly so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: