Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What can I to improve my pronunciation??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olimpiajesus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: What can I to improve my pronunciation?? Reply with quote

I am a native Spanish speaker I came to the USA a few years ago.
I have problems making questions or when I use adjectives, because
in Spanish is totally opposite. Is there any rule about this two
issues that I can apply to improve my English??
Buckler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

English language has very little in terms of the word-level redundancy (not sure if this is a correct term), this determines its grammatical structure (it requires special grammatical constructions to convey the information, which is missing at the level of words).
Spanish does have redundancy (verbs and nouns are different words, plus a greater number of dedicated verbs).
The most pronounced word-level redundancy is in Slavic languages, they do not even have a Past Perfect Tense, they use dedicated verbs instead, which obviates the need for the "service verbs", such as "have", "do", "get" (get acquainted, get to know s/o, etc).

Once you know that you can easily see the reason for the "peculiar" grammatic constructions in English.
Accent reduction involves expanding the range of speech reflexes. You can easily do it if you are aware of the differences in phonetic articulation between your native language and the language you are learning.
PeterAlex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some tips to help you improve your English pronunciation.

First of all, don't worry about not having a Native-English Accent and Writing Assignments for your educational matters. It's important to be able to speak clearly, so that people can understand you. However, it's almost impossible to sound exactly like a native English speaker if you are learning English as an adult in a non-English speaking country.

-Source: Improving your English pronunciation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: