Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How did I get IELTS writing 7.0 in one month

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> TOEFL and Other English Exams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tvstation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: How did I get IELTS writing 7.0 in one month Reply with quote

I was asked to take IELTS by Immigration of Canada. I tried it once and got writing only 6.0, but I need the band 7.0. Then I took it more seriously and finally I reached 7.0 on IELTS writing. I would like to share with everyone my prep experiences.

First, read more. At the beginning, I think reading magazines or newpapers will help, but quickly i found it wrong because there are a lot of words beyond my knowledge and it made me frustrated. So finally i decided only read sample IELTS essays. Actually this helped me a lot because people who write those sample essays are in the same level with me. I can learn how they develop sentences and ideas. and i got familiar with all IELTS topics. Totally i read over 500 sample essays I believe. and i was lucky enough to write an essay topic in the IELTS exam that i read before.

Second, listen more. Listening can also improve essay writing actually since language is related to each other. I choose to listen to BBC and VOA special English. It takes a about one hour everyday.

Third, write more. I write one essay for task I and one essay for task II daily. Well, it is not enough to write something, you need to get it checked by an IELTS teacher or a good IELTS website.

Fourth, how to write. Here i got some good ideas from a good IELTS site: http://www.testbig.com. Those are the suggestions from the site: 1. write about 300 words in order to get 7.0. Too much words may out of the ability but too less words may get less marks. 2. Don't make mistakes on grammar and spellings. Double check after you finished the essay writing. As the site told, grammar errors will decrease the marks a lot. I read a good grammar book those days and i always pay attention to the correct grammar during writing. 3. Write four or five paragraphs, don't write three or six paragraphs. Discuss the topic in both side. Don't just focus on one side. 4. Develop one idea in one paragraph, don't try to put a lot of things together. Need to focus. The site also check and grade your essays freely, so i submit all essays there to know how was my writing and the improvements.

Fifth, analyze and summarize. Only writing is not enough. You need to think what is the problem and how to improve next time and avoid same mistakes all the time. This is a very important step so many people may neglect. I keep on practicing and after two weeks i was confident that i will reach 7.0 because the site always gave me 7.0 marks.

Well, practicing makes perfect if you are on the right track. It is a small victory to pass IELTS and get 7.0, but now i can relax and enjoy my life. I hope the experiences can help to everybody and good luck to everyone.
JPateman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are some really good tips!

Whilst there are some strategies and techniques that can help you pass the IELTS exam, it does come down to a very simple point you made......

.....Read/write/listen/speak more!

Put in the effort and you will get the reward.

Congratulations tvstation, I hope your IELTS success has given you want you want!

Joe
ieltschampion.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> TOEFL and Other English Exams All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: