Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

whom or who

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fumi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: whom or who Reply with quote

Dear teachers,

Which sentence is correct?

A girl whom I met knew your family very well.
or
A girl who I met knew your family very well.

Some English grammer site by Japanese say the second one is correct, but I think I learned at school when I was a student, and also, there was a website that instruct as the first one.

Could you tell me which is correct?

Fumi
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: whom or who Reply with quote

fumi wrote:
Dear teachers,

Which sentence is correct?

A girl whom I met knew your family very well.
or
A girl who I met knew your family very well.

Some English grammer site by Japanese say the second one is correct, but I think I learned at school when I was a student, and also, there was a website that instruct as the first one.

Could you tell me which is correct?

Fumi

Technically, the first one (A girl whom I met....) is correct, because girl is an object. However, in American English we almost never use that in speech because it sounds too formal. We would tend to say, "A girl who I met knew your family very well." But on a test I'd pick the first one.
SimpleEnglishBlogger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think omitting the who altogether sounds better. "A girl I met knew your family very well."

However, to be honest, even this doesn't sound completely right to me without context.

Where did you meet this girl? Who is she? How does she know my family? Out of the blue, the sentence would leave me confused.

You might say something like, "A girl I met at work knew your family very well."

But still... I don't love it.

I would probably say it this way. "I met a girl at work who/that knew your family very well."

In fact, I would probably even add more to it. "I met a girl at who who says she knew your family very well."

Of course, this is for natural-sounding speech. If you're sitting a test, as Lorikeet says, you should probably go with "whom".

All of the videos are in SLOW and EASY ENGLISH so they are easy to understand and will help you improve your listening until you can watch regular movies and TV!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: