Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which goals do you set in your life?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hobbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Which goals do you set in your life? Reply with quote

Hello members of this list,

I want to ask a new question: What do you want to achieve in your life? Which goals do you set yourselves?

As for me, I would like to have my own bookstore cram-full of books. But what is most important it should be cozy, so that people drop by to read books, have a drink and enjoy a conversation. So it's more a combination of a bookstore and a small salon. But I guess till I can make this wish come true, I'll need a lot of money to afford all of this!

Now it's your turn. What is it that you want to do? Very Happy
liebe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about long-term or short-term goals? My goals for the near future are to be fluent in German and to be a really good ballroom dancer, one that competes and etc. When I was a child I had many silly little fantasies: I wanted to create a perfect country, where there would be no misery, no poverty, no racism, no wars and no "bad" people. I wanted to be really rich, so that I'd have a large home for animals--I wanted to drive on the streets and "collect" all the hungry homeless cats. I wanted to have love (as stupid as it sounds)--you know, meet the "prince", have the perfect guy who would love me and whom I'd love. Of course, none of my childhood's dreams came true...
I'd like to research cancer and hopefully cure it, but I suppose that's impossible. Well, I HAVE to try. In one of your other messages you've mentioned that you're from Germany. Would you PLEASE be my key pal and help me improve my German?

There's a book store just like what you've described right here! It's called Barnes & Nobel. It has a small cafe inside it and lots of books. I always enjoy sitting there with a cup of coffe and reading something. You can start by working in a place like this and then eventually becoming its owner.
jazzie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant rather long-term goals, but either way is okay. Yes, I think many young people have similar fantasies and dreams. I myself belong to this group. But I think one realizes quite early that it is impossible to change all the wrong in this world (and there's a lot). I also forgot to mention a goal that had top priority last years: it's trying to be almost perfect in English. But sometimes it seems I don't make any progress lately. So I guess I've got to work on that.
Passerby

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Keep the ball into the goal Reply with quote

My goals? Well, like most others is to become rich, healthy, and a happy family, a pet, a good job, a beautiful wife and long life. Am I too shallow?

Actually, when you are growing older and older, you become weaker and weaker and become more careful and pay more attention to what you do. Unlike the youth who dare to try, dare to sacrifice, a grown man counts everything and remembers everything.

A goal to reach, that's not a dream or a moonshine but something that you could really do. Just do it~~~

Passersby
liebe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that you grow "weaker", it's just that you realize that this world is too cruel and unfair and your goals/dreams cannot come true in it. So you become realistic and try to get at least the things you can get, and you don't always get even those.
pauline

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: wnat to try various kinds of jobs Reply with quote

i really don't want to be conbined by one job.i like trying something new!
my goal is to tryas many kinds of jobs as i can.
jazzie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Pauline, I think you've made an important point. By changing one's job, one has to cope with new challenges so that life never gets boring -at least not so easily. But in times of high unemployment figures it is not always possible to change one's job, because you can count yourself to the lucky ones if you have some work.
LucentShade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goals include surviving the next year and a half of graduate school. finding a good Spanish translation/interpretation job, getting a girlfriend for once, and learning more Japanese.
smiling

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, jazzie, I’m so glad that I have the same dream with you. I like reading very much. When I was young, I hope there would be a good bookstore belonging to me. Every day I can read many books which I like. I can make friends with many people who like reading as me. And of course, I have to sell some books or hire out books to afford my simple life. Though now the dream seems very far from me, I believe some day the dream can come true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hobbies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: