Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why do so many people believe in GoD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> The Strange and Mysterious
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ale R.U.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For both:

I understand, that people ever want obtain a reason for the supernatural, for this before of Jesus, the people have many gods( The plant god, the sun god...) But it was for give an answer to the supernatural questions, but I am sure that something move the world, and it something is almighty and have control of everydetail of the nature.

I dont thing that perfect and infinitve and infinitely world was made, for the chance. It would be imposible.
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ale R.U. wrote:
I dont thing that perfect and infinitve and infinitely world was made, for the chance. It would be imposible.

This is how I understand your reasoning:
The world - perfect and infinite - could not be here by chance. So God must exist, because the existence of the world would not be possible unless something almighty created it.

I have two observations with questions:
1. If we accept your reasoning then something had to have made God. Or, how did the almighty God come into existence? By chance? or perhaps something even more powerful than God made God. Do you see the flaw in your reasoning?

2. Your desire to explain the existence of the world - created by an Almighty God or otherwise - proves my point. Your desire to explain why the world exists comes from fear - fear of the unknown. Why do you need an explanation for the existence of the world? Can't you just accept that it does exist?

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
Ale R.U.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beancurdturtle wrote:

1. If we accept your reasoning then something had to have made God. Or, how did the almighty God come into existence? By chance? or perhaps something even more powerful than God made God. Do you see the flaw in your reasoning?

2. Your desire to explain the existence of the world - created by an Almighty God or otherwise - proves my point. Your desire to explain why the world exists comes from fear - fear of the unknown. Why do you need an explanation for the existence of the world? Can't you just accept that it does exist?

1-God dont have no begin and no end, because He is God, the almigthy, the first and the last, He have the control and the power.

2-If the world was created without reason, so in my life I dont have no reason for to life, because eveything will finished when I die...
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ale R.U. wrote:

1-God dont have no begin and no end, because He is God, the almigthy, the first and the last, He have the control and the power.

2-If the world was created without reason, so in my life I dont have no reason for to life, because eveything will finished when I die...

1. Your logic is both flawed and contradictory.
1.a. You use the logic "something (the world) cannot come from nothing, it has to be created" to make your argument that God exists.
1.b. I use the same logic "something (God) cannot come from nothing, so what created God?" to show that the logic of your argument is flawed.
1.c. You answer by saying "God dont have no begin and no end" which means that something (God) CAN come from nothing. This statement accomplishes two things:
1.c.i. It is contrary to the logic you use to prove God exists in 1.a. and so makes your original argument invalid;
1.c.ii. If God (as you say) CAN come from nothing, than the world also could have come from nothing, So God does not have to exist for the world to exist.

2. This discussion was about whether or not God exists. "Does God exist" is a very different matter than "What is the reason for life?" - but I can address your rhetorical question/statement.
2.a. Are you saying that you would have no reason to live if God did not exist? If so, then I can understand your desire to believe that God exists.
2.b. It seems that your reason for living is based on something you think will happen after you die? Is that so? If so, why not just die today so you can achieve your reason for living faster?

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
Ale R.U.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="beancurdturtle"]
Ale R.U. wrote:

1. Your logic is both flawed and contradictory.
1.a. You use the logic "something (the world) cannot come from nothing, it has to be created" to make your argument that God exists.
1.b. I use the same logic "something (God) cannot come from nothing, so what created God?" to show that the logic of your argument is flawed.
1.c. You answer by saying "God dont have no begin and no end" which means that something (God) CAN come from nothing. This statement accomplishes two things:
1.c.i. It is contrary to the logic you use to prove God exists in 1.a. and so makes your original argument invalid;
1.c.ii. If God (as you say) CAN come from nothing, than the world also could have come from nothing, So God does not have to exist for the world to exist.

I understand your point of view.
I change a little bit the topic.

But how I told u before God is almigthy.
So, I use your argument you are tell me, that If God dont come of nothing, the world dont come of nothing too, so:
How I can stay here, its dont probably, because the world need something for be creted (the world couldn't appear sudenly how u replice me, this dont have no logic).
Its more probably that world was created for something almigthy, than a big explosion or some theory like that.
Ale R.U.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beancurdturtle wrote:

2. This discussion was about whether or not God exists. "Does God exist" is a very different matter than "What is the reason for life?" - but I can address your rhetorical question/statement.
2.a. Are you saying that you would have no reason to live if God did not exist? If so, then I can understand your desire to believe that God exists.
2.b. It seems that your reason for living is based on something you think will happen after you die? Is that so? If so, why not just die today so you can achieve your reason for living faster?

I dont want living faster how you told me, because for me is important help anothers and trying that my point of view be listened for another people, because i am sure that God is real, isn't just a desire of my hearth or my mind, because I dont have fear about the die or I want die for looking for God, becuase for me now is more important to learn to defend my arguments and to propuse new ideas to the people.
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ale R.U. wrote:
i am sure that God is real, isn't just a desire of my hearth or my mind, because I dont have fear about the die or I want die for looking for God,

Well, I'm happy to know your faith gives you strength, calms your fear, and motivates you to be a good person. I can't argue with the results. Smile

--Dr. Seuss
Ale R.U.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beancurdturtle wrote:

Well, I'm happy to know your faith gives you strength, calms your fear, and motivates you to be a good person. I can't argue with the results. Smile

Ok, thanks for your replices it was very important for knom more about the life, about you.
Thanks for your good arguments.
This was a good experience for me.
Sarraa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A person who does not believe in God wil never understand or appreciate the feeling and beauty in it, so obviously it is hard to convince them.

But as of the existence of God, you'll find a lot of people who don't believe in Him trying to ignore the questions: 'Where did we come from?' and 'Where are we going?' when in fact these are the first questions they should be asking themselves. If we were to assume that there is such a thing as the Afterlife (which there is) and that we will all be questioned about our beliefs and deeds on that day, a non-believer can hardly say ''I didn't know.'' You did know, you just didn't bother finding out more or acting upon your knowledge.
To non-believers though, this all doesn't matter. All that matters to them is their temporary life, which is actually not that long (that is if they even manage to live till 70 or more, for all they know, they could drop dead any day). I have a question for non-believers: What is your goal in life? To be rich and famous? To build a family? To be kind and friendly and nicety-nice to others, gving and sharing and Ladida? After you have achieved this, then what? What about those who are poor and who have miserable and depressing lives, are they to live miserably, die miserably, and that's the end for them? What is the point of living? No wonder death is an awful thing for a non-beliver. And really, no wonder thousands of people out there are committing suicide, there is no purpose in life for them and well Hey, my life's gloomy I might as well kill myself.

When one believes in God though, there is hope in this world, and in the next. A believer knows there is a reward in the Hereafter after all the hardship he suffers in this world as long as he does good in this world. Therefore I believe a poor non-believer, living the life of a dog is far worse off than a poor believer.
Also, to a believer, doing good and refraining from doing bad is important because he knows he will be rewarded for his good deeds and he fears the punishment for his bad deeds in the Hereafter. What is to stop a non-believer from committing crimes though? Yes, the human nature (which God has created) naturally wants peace and doesn't always accept evil, but it is also greedy and selfish at times, so what forces a non-beliver back? Where are the limits? Their limits are set by themselves, and all humans make mistakes so how can we trust ourselves to dictate? There must be Higher Being to look up to. But to non-believers it's much easier to deny it and live their life all fine and dandy, following their temptations, without a thing to stop them except themselves.

As for who created this world, the universe, the planets, our bodies that work in fascinating ways, I won't even go there it's so obvious. Mother Nature, they say. Sigh. God Almighty help us.
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarraa, you write well, and there is great validity in your words (to a person that has faith in God). But you write from your perspective of deep faith - with ignorance regarding what gives motivation and meaning in life to those you call "non-believers" - every one of your suppositions of what is going through the minds of non-believers is incorrect from my experience.

Understanding and appreciating the feeling and beauty in faith is not a hard thing to do - after all, it's conceptual. For a believer to understand that their faith in God is a conceptual construct, with the purpose of creating a "meaning for life" - that would be difficult.

The questions "Where did we come from?" and "Where are we going?" are not ignored by non-believers. After careful examination of these questions it should be found that the answer is irrelevant. Regardless of where we came from and where we are going - we are here, right now. We have a duty to do what is right in the present. The concept of being a good person in the present to receive some reward in the afterlife is not spiritual - it is commerce, and it's motivation is greed (self gain).

I will give you my answer to your "question for non-believers: What is your goal in life?"
Quote:
Be Honest (是诚实的)
When I live right I have nothing lie about. When I tell the truth, I don't have to remember stories for future reference. But recognize that gentle semantics can be of value if brutal honesty will harm a good relationship. Be honest enough with myself to recognize when the rules should change.

Be Trustworthy (是信得过)
I try to keep all my promises. If my friends need help (need not want) and I can give it, I do. It's simple; I want to trust the people in my life, so I need to be trustworthy.

Be Sincere (是恳切的)
If I say it, I mean it. Report, and when things change, report again. Nobody knows where to walk if they don't know where they stand. Apologize when appropriate.

Be Respectful (是恭敬的)
Honesty, trust, and sincerity are the behaviors - respect is the foundation. I will respect all life. I will respect all people until I see them hurt someone (or hurt me), or see them consistently break these rules.

Be Caring (是关心)
I will care about my son, my family, my friends, my work, about many things. Caring is what brings depth and meaning to my life. Love easily � allow lots of space, and let go when appropriate.

Be A True Friend (是一真实朋友)
I will build meaningful honest friendships and relationships. Anything less is a waste of time, and becomes an acquaintance or something less.

Act With Integrity (是操守)
Life is huge and very long. The two most important events are birth and death � the rest is details. The rules are for the details. I don't break the rules for short term gain, or laziness � though sometimes rules can be bent when the details make it appropriate. And the rules can change if someone shows me they are wrong.

Choose Quality Friends (有真正的朋友)
Young at heart, open minded, and intelligent, internationally diverse. This keeps my mind open, my curiosity high, my leisure time creative, and my conversation interesting.

Choose Right Priorities (选择正确的优先权)
My son, my family, my partner, my work, my friends, and my rules.

Accept Change (受理变动)
Recognize that life is constantly changing. When I don�t have control � don�t fight a tide that will drown me.

And I will answer your follow up question "After you have achieved this, then what?"
Then, I wake up the next day and I do it again because it is right. Because it is right, not because I will get some mythological reward like "eternal life" from it.

You say "What is to stop a non-believer from committing crimes though? Yes, the human nature (which God has created) naturally wants peace and doesn't always accept evil, but it is also greedy and selfish at times, so what forces a non-believer back?" "Human nature" is an excuse phrase. If someone acts in response to their greed it is human decision not human nature. It's too convenient to say "Forgive me God as I was weak and gave in to my human nature (which you gave me)." It is more difficult to always do what is right, than it is to ask for forgiveness time and again when you do wrong. Let me ask: Instead of asking God for forgiveness and gaining absolution for wrongdoing, Don't you have to live to a higher standard when you are required to take personal responsibility for your actions?

You say "to a believer, doing good and refraining from doing bad is important because he knows he will be rewarded for his good deeds and he fears the punishment for his bad deeds in the Hereafter." I have another question: Is it better to do something simply because it is right, or is it better to do it because you expect to gain some reward for what you have done?

Your post has many reasons and justifications that explain your motivation to have faith in God. These are also the common basis for faith in God for most people who believe in the God of Abraham (Christians, Jews, Muslims). Furthermore, I wouldn't (and most non-believers agree with me) say that your motivation or desire is wrong - especially when acknowledging the fruit of your efforts. As I said "I'm happy to know your faith gives you strength, calms your fear, and motivates you to be a good person. I can't argue with the results."

But your closing statement proves your misunderstanding of people who don't frame their life within faith in God, "But to non-believers it's much easier to deny it [it = existence of a Higher Being to look up to] and live their life all fine and dandy, following their temptations, without a thing to stop them except themselves." You should consider:
1. Many who do not believe in your God, do believe in a Higher Power (or powers of one kind or another).
2. Many non-believers do not live their lives "following their temptations."
3. The only thing that stops anyone from wrongdoing is themselves, making right decisions from moment to moment. We have different motivations for making right decisions. A non-believer does it because it's the right thing to do - you do it because you fear punishment and want a reward in the afterlife.

I can see that you don't understand what gives motivation and meaning in life to non-believers. This is because your understanding of life is framed within your faith in God. You would have to stand objectively, outside of your faith, to understand non-believers - but that would require you to view your own faith objectively as well, which would be impossible. The moment you begin to see your own faith objectively it can no longer be a faith. But this is like your "who created this world?" question, it's for a different place.

In any case, I am interested in your response to my thoughts, and your answers to the questions I raised.

Oh! By the way - this non-believer has a great deal of hope in this world. Very Happy

--Dr. Seuss
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for responding so eloquently, Beancurdturtle.
ad-miral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe in religion...
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorikeet wrote:
Thank you for responding so eloquently, Beancurdturtle.

My pleasure. A mean spirited, bigoted, or chauvinistic reply would be counterproductive.

I try to do things the right way. I don't always succeed - but I try.

ad-miral wrote:
I don't believe in religion...

The existence of religion cannot be denied ad-miral. Sometimes the results of religious belief are very good - sometimes, not so good. That's the usual way for things created by men.

I think you mean to say that you don't have a religious belief or faith yourself. I completely understand that.

You should see the surprised looks I get when I tell some people "I don't have faith." It's difficult for many people to understand that life without religious faith can have deep meaning, purpose, and goodness.

I don't have faith - I live in accordance with a philosophy instead of a religion, so I don't need faith. It works for me.

--Dr. Seuss
ad-miral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, philosophy is a good word, we just need a way to live. Religion is also something like philosophy, or not? It gives us a view of life, but with a sculpture to be praised at, in the middle.

However the religious way of thinking is too ancient for me, I think religions need to be refreshed. We are spending away too much money for this useless thing.
jvegap223

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: I agree with you Reply with quote

Sarraa wrote:
A person who does not believe in God wil never understand or appreciate the feeling and beauty in it, so obviously it is hard to convince them.

But as of the existence of God, you'll find a lot of people who don't believe in Him trying to ignore the questions: 'Where did we come from?' and 'Where are we going?' when in fact these are the first questions they should be asking themselves. If we were to assume that there is such a thing as the Afterlife (which there is) and that we will all be questioned about our beliefs and deeds on that day, a non-believer can hardly say ''I didn't know.'' You did know, you just didn't bother finding out more or acting upon your knowledge.
To non-believers though, this all doesn't matter. All that matters to them is their temporary life, which is actually not that long (that is if they even manage to live till 70 or more, for all they know, they could drop dead any day). I have a question for non-believers: What is your goal in life? To be rich and famous? To build a family? To be kind and friendly and nicety-nice to others, gving and sharing and Ladida? After you have achieved this, then what? What about those who are poor and who have miserable and depressing lives, are they to live miserably, die miserably, and that's the end for them? What is the point of living? No wonder death is an awful thing for a non-beliver. And really, no wonder thousands of people out there are committing suicide, there is no purpose in life for them and well Hey, my life's gloomy I might as well kill myself.

When one believes in God though, there is hope in this world, and in the next. A believer knows there is a reward in the Hereafter after all the hardship he suffers in this world as long as he does good in this world. Therefore I believe a poor non-believer, living the life of a dog is far worse off than a poor believer.
Also, to a believer, doing good and refraining from doing bad is important because he knows he will be rewarded for his good deeds and he fears the punishment for his bad deeds in the Hereafter. What is to stop a non-believer from committing crimes though? Yes, the human nature (which God has created) naturally wants peace and doesn't always accept evil, but it is also greedy and selfish at times, so what forces a non-beliver back? Where are the limits? Their limits are set by themselves, and all humans make mistakes so how can we trust ourselves to dictate? There must be Higher Being to look up to. But to non-believers it's much easier to deny it and live their life all fine and dandy, following their temptations, without a thing to stop them except themselves.

As for who created this world, the universe, the planets, our bodies that work in fascinating ways, I won't even go there it's so obvious. Mother Nature, they say. Sigh. God Almighty help us.

Hi Sara!!! My name is Jessica, I agree with you, for me God is all my life. I work for him in my church and also in my life. God give me all that I need. I posted a topic in the forum Opinion/the most important in life: with the subject God is the most important in my life, please read them, and tell me what do you think.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> The Strange and Mysterious All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: