Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fantasy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anxious Heart

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: fantasy Reply with quote

Hey all book-loving people all over the world! Very Happy

I wanted to start a fantasy-thread just to see, if there are a few people, who are obsessed with fantasy as I am.

The first books, I read outside school were books for children, such as "Pippi Longstock", "The neverending story" and "Momo".

But then I was given a book about a world, absolutly different from our world and I couldn't stop reading.......
So, at first I just read books from an author, who is famous in my country... but then I found out, that there are a lot of other novelists and so I read "Tyrants and Kings" by John Marco, "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" by Tad Williams and some books by David Gemmel.

I also read Harry Potter (I know, many people think, it is kitschy and for small children, but I like it and I have no problem with admitting that)..... and watched the first Film, but I advise people, who read the books and haven't watched the film yet, don't catch up on this.......
The same to "The Lord of Rings"...... the books are amazing (I suppose the films too, if you didn't read the books....)....

In fact, I never read anything apart from fantasy (oh, of course there were small periods of other literature, such as spy-novels by John Le'carre or "Sophies World" or books by Stephen King), but at least I need these flights to different worlds to escape this wolrd....

Does someone know Terry Pratchett? There are people, thinking fantasy couldn't be fun..... I read nearly every single book of his Discworld-cycle and now I know, fantasy can be fun.... much fun Laughing .... maybe his books aren't real fantasy..... of course, there is a different world with dwarfs and such fictional creatures, but you are able to make out many human stereotypes.... but they are so exaggerated, that you start to doubt them automatically...... anyway, it is really funny....

Do you like fantasy? Why (not)? What books did you read? Can you recommend some to me? What are your favourite characters? Question

Greets, Anxi
Excalibur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: fantasy Reply with quote

Anxious Heart wrote:
Hey all book-loving people all over the world! Very Happy

I wanted to start a fantasy-thread just to see, if there are a few people, who are obsessed with fantasy as I am.

The first books, I read outside school were books for children, such as "Pippi Longstock", "The neverending story" and "Momo".

Do you like fantasy? Why (not)? What books did you read? Can you recommend some to me? What are your favourite characters? Question

Greets, Anxi

Hiii Smile
I joined this forum recently. I just reading your message and I am very surprised that you have similar preferences in terms of reading as me. I either read fantasy books or other betseller author. I used to read a lot when I studied in high school before starts University. In one summer I was able to read 20 books. In that time, I was reading the hobbit, and the fellowship of the rings and I impresed with them.

NOw, I am trying to read books in english. It is hard because I am not a native. For instance, I bought the fellowship.... and I found out that it is not a easy book for no-natives person.

I wanted to recomend you to read some books that I loved it although cannot be included clearly in fantasy matters it will be science fiction. The only problem is that I am not sure What is the titles in English.

One of them, is the Trilogy of the Fundation which was written by Isacc Asimov. He has many books very interesting. Other is YO, robot.

Talking about spy literature I strongly suggested to you reading. "the Island of the Storms" JOhn Le carre. I have not read a better spy book yet.
Finally, One of the my favorite American writer that I started reading recently is John Grisman who wrote The pelicano Brief, The Firm, the Jury. his books are interesting and easily reading.

Bye, Bye
Anxious Heart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't think, that anybody'd answer. Thank you for the reply Very Happy.

Excalibur wrote:
I used to read a lot when I studied in high school before starts University.

You're lucky. I have problems with finding time to read. When I've done my homework, I 'm often too tired to concentrate on the plot, so there are only the holidays, when I've time to read Sad.

Quote:
In one summer I was able to read 20 books.

Wink You didn't meet your friends often, did you?

Quote:
NOw, I am trying to read books in english. It is hard because I am not a native.

I know this problem. Reading in English is not the same like reading in your mother-tongue. Of course you get the gist of what happens, but you can't enjoy getting lost in the book, because you are too often puzzled by vocabulary or something else.

Quote:
One of them, is the Trilogy of the Fundation which was written by Isacc Asimov. He has many books very interesting.

Thank you for the recommendation, I'll look for Asimov. Is this a Russian SiFi-author? I didn't read much SiFi (apart from the parody of Terry Pratchett "The dark side of the sun")...

Quote:
Talking about spy literature I strongly suggested to you reading. "the Island of the Storms" JOhn Le carre. I have not read a better spy book yet.

Are you sure, that there is a book called this way? I put that term into Google and it didn't find anything. Sad

Oh, and I'll try to get at a book by John Grisham, thank you for that tip.
I'm glad, that there is someone in the world, who is interested in fantasy, otherwise I would have been very sad, because fantasy is one of the few oportunities to get off this cruel world.

Greets, Anxi
Excalibur

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Are you sure, that there is a book called this way? I put that term into Google and it didn't find anything. Sad

[/quote]
I am not sure what is the title in the original version in . In Spain is very typical to rename the books or movies which titles which doesn't have any relation with the original version.
That is a short novel no more that 300 pages. It talks about a "german spy who live and carry out his duties in London, all german spy has already been captured. However, Hitler is wainting his report in order to know what wil be the place where will take place the NOrmandy landings.
Rolling Eyes Confused Rolling Eyes I just looked for the novel on the web , I didnt find out anything. After checked in my bookshelf I realized that the author is KEN FOLLET. I always thought that novel was written by John LeCarre.
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed [/b]
Anxious Heart

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
I just looked for the novel on the web , I didnt find out anything. After checked in my bookshelf I realized that the author is KEN FOLLET. I always thought that novel was written by John LeCarre.

Never mind Wink. I'll look for the book. What is it called in Spanish? "La isla de las tormentas"? I looked for the book on the page of an online book-seller. The original-language title is "The eye of the needle". I remember seeing this book in the book shelf of my fathers. So I guess, I'll read it in the winter holidays Very Happy.

Greets, Anxi
oinrocinu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanish translations are wonderfull! One example: the S. Kubrick's film "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" was translated into "Teléfono rojo, volamos hacia Moscú" ("Red telephone, we fligh to Moscow"). Of course!....
Anxious Heart

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
But I guess, that's the same everywhere. Here they thought of another funny way. There was a film on TV, called "Girls united". I liked it, so I wanted to visit the homepage an looked at Google. I just found reviews on the film in my mother-tongue. I searched and searched.... until I found out, that this film is called "Bring it on" in English.... mean, isn't it?

Oh, and there was a book by Jostein Gaarder, called "The Ringmasters Daughter" (btw: very nice book Wink), the translation here: "The Story Teller"... well, nearly the same Wink

Greets, Anxi
oinrocinu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Spanish translation was "El vendedor de cuentos" ("The story seller").

Have you read "The Solitaire Mystery" or "Maya"?

Yesterday, I finished "1984". Now, I'm with "The Picture or Dorian Gray".... Let's see

L.
liebe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Axi,

I don't like fantasy books as much. I guess it's because I like books that I can relate to them, that I can feel that they have a connection to my life. But I like Harry Potter too. I think it's because everyone of the characters is so real, I can visualize each of them and relate and understand many of them. By the way, there are many adults who reading it!!!!!! It's not just kitschy children's book!!

I haven't read Lord of the Rings, but I've seen all 3 of the movies. I like the first one, but not the other two. It seems to me that the producer put a lot of energy into the first movie, because he wasn't sure if it'll be a success or not, and then once the first movie became a success, he didn't put as much energy into the other two. Pity, how money can corrupt people... I've heard from people that have both seen the movie and read the book that the book is much better. Perhaps I should read it, then.

What types of books do I like? Detective books, first of all. Oh, I know, they aren't great piece of literature. Still, they're so fascinating. I just can't stop reading once I start. I like reading them at night, when it's dark and everyone is asleep... I also like romantic books or war novels. I like books that have a certain effect on me, books that I'll remember even a few years after. I like books that make me think, without actually preaching to me. I also enjoy reading books that make me cry. Why? I guess I don't feel so alone with my miseries once I read about someone else's troubles......

Hope I didn't bore you with my late reply!
Lieb (;
liebe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Axi,

I don't like fantasy books as much. I guess it's because I like books that I can relate to them, that I can feel that they have a connection to my life. But I like Harry Potter too. I think it's because everyone of the characters is so real, I can visualize each of them and relate and understand many of them. By the way, there are many adults who reading it!!!!!! It's not just kitschy children's book!!

I haven't read Lord of the Rings, but I've seen all 3 of the movies. I like the first one, but not the other two. It seems to me that the producer put a lot of energy into the first movie, because he wasn't sure if it'll be a success or not, and then once the first movie became a success, he didn't put as much energy into the other two. Pity, how money can corrupt people... I've heard from people that have both seen the movie and read the book that the book is much better. Perhaps I should read it, then.

What types of books do I like? Detective books, first of all. Oh, I know, they aren't great piece of literature. Still, they're so fascinating. I just can't stop reading once I start. I like reading them at night, when it's dark and everyone is asleep... I also like romantic books or war novels. I like books that have a certain effect on me, books that I'll remember even a few years after. I like books that make me think, without actually preaching to me. I also enjoy reading books that make me cry. Why? I guess I don't feel so alone with my miseries once I read about someone else's troubles......

Lieb (;
Anxious Heart

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

liebe wrote:
I guess it's because I like books that I can relate to them, that I can feel that they have a connection to my life.

I agree with you. I often read fantasy because of that fact. I want to escape from this world, to hide somewhere far away. But sometimes I find an atmosphere or a feeling of a certain character, that reminds me of something deep inside of me, that I couldn't express even to myself. So fantasy is not always so far away from here and now. But often it is Wink .

Quote:
By the way, there are many adults who reading it!!!!!! It's not just kitschy children's book!!

I think, you're right. And even, if it was that kitschy children book, many people think it was.... I guess, when something makes you happy and Harry Potter was one of the books, which left a feeling of joy in me... so why should this be bad... I don't think, that something, causing joy and hurting noone, is bad.

Quote:
What types of books do I like? Detective books, first of all. Oh, I know, they aren't great piece of literature.

In general? Sherlock Holmes is no great peace of literature? Well, maybe that depends on the point of view. I assume in every literal genre there are book of linguistical high-quality and other ones, which aren't.

Three or four years ago, I also read many war novels and books about the Third Reich. It was strange. The more books I read, the more I got sick of blood, murder and violence. I often sat in tears in front of my books and wondered, wheter this could be reality. I couldn't imagine that, but I could imagine, what was written in the books. I stopped reading such books, I guess, I'm to weak.

Quote:

Shocked Do you know, how seldom and fascinating posts, which are rich in substance, are? Very Happy

Greets, Anxi
helpeachother

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: wooooo Reply with quote

hey everyoen. I love fantasy books as well. But I did another definite different ways with films and books. Like Harry Potter, I watched films first than read the book, that was cool. I just like making film by myself. And the HARRY is just Deniel Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: