Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

express your opinion here
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: express your opinion here Reply with quote

Ok . welcome and welcome again. release your clever thought here
anilzakhanz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: what opinion do you want me to express Reply with quote

what opinion do you want me to express? you want me to talk about what????
wieda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we have to discuss about serious stuff?
sokkies

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry. i'm not clever.. Question
zam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just write anything? as long as it doesn't heart any of us around this forum
zam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... how about we talk about Bird flu, or about the train explode in tehran, is it OK?
sokkies

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm...don't have any idea Confused
zam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...Is riezal on line? No?

haaaa....
zam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about talk about hobbies, maybe...
anybody got an unusual hobbies?
sokkies

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.. unusual hobbies?? i like ti eat during my free time. Is that unusual? Very Happy
phaton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi My friends,
one opinion.....actually this is a clear fact for me.

Every village must have its headman; every needle must have its manufacturer and craftsman. And, as you know, every letter must be written by someone. How, then, can it be that so extremely well-ordered a kingdom (this world) has no ruler? And how can so much wealth have no owner?
asterix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earth is ruled by the principles of physics.
Passerby

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Unfairness on the road~~ Reply with quote

This is the opinion extracted from the China Post Opinion column from http://www.chinapost.com.tw/opinion/

Police in Taiwan

The definition of a police officer is one who serves and protects. It seems like common sense that the polices?primary concern would be protecting others. In reality there primary concern is finding the easiest way to make their quota.

For example they will sit around the corner and give tickets to people who turn right on the red light. First of all, I don't know any countries other than Taiwan where it is illegal to turn right on red. In most if not all other countries it is LEGAL to turn right on red. You need to stop at the red and look first, but you can turn right. The police here love to give tickets for this because most people do it especially considering it is safe to do so as long as you stop and look first. The police could give tickets to the people who drive straight through the red light endangering others lives, but they don't because those vehicles are already moving too fast and it is too much bother for them to catch them. Much easier to bully the people turning rightwhich is safe and legal in most countries... Another good example recently I was stopped at a red light in front of a police car, while waiting for the light to turn green I noticed a scooter pass the police car on the left (illegal), with no helmet (illegal), run the red light (very illegal) and ride down the street on the wrong side (illegal and very stupid), the scooter rider looked back at the police to see if they will go after him, and of course they don't. While I continued to wait for the light, one of the policemen sneaks up beside me and pulls my key out of the ignition, telling me to push my bike off to the side. He then tells me that the little L.E.D. lights (pretty lights) I put near my license plate are illegal and he writes me a ticket. I ask him if he noticed the person running the red light he answered "yes, but that isn't your concern."

It seems from my experiences that if you stop near police they might hassle you, but if you drive past them running red lights or whatever then they will leave you alone as they are usually too lazy to chase you even if they are endangering other peoples lives. The police approached my roommate 3 times last week. All 3 of those times my roommate was STOPPED sitting on his bike waiting for someone. The police just asked to see his license and registration and then went away. Those police should have just went to any intersection waited for the light to go red and chances are they would see someone running a red light but instead they hassle people who aren't even riding.

I live on a one-way street and every single day about 100 cars and bikes drive down it the wrong way.I see police driving along the road also but not once have I seen them stop someone.
Why should people drive correctly if they know no one will punish them? I try not to break laws because I know it is disrespectful to other drivers on the road. When someone cuts to the front of a line it is like they think they are better than the other people and even though they arrived at the light later.They shouldn't have to wait at the back. That is extremely rude. In America you would get shot for doing this. But in Taiwan you can pretty much spit bettle nut on someone without fear of them doing anything.

Personally, I gave my both thumbs-up to him for the reaveal of this daily happening in Taiwan.

Actually, you may claim that don't judge all by a single case but the fact is if you never experience the effect of it, you will never tell the feelings. The problem may become like this....., why our government would allow such a low life to maintain society's stability and peace homony? The police.....?

Passerby
Passerby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: White or black? Reply with quote

Few minutes ago, I read an article that reveals the fact that the Asians are becoming whiter and whiter.

How much you've known about some products claimed how magically the effect of whitening your appearance skin is? You heard of some before? But nowadays this is something penetratingly in in the Asian countries. Instead of taking the regular sunbathing along the beach or keep your skin tanned as the westerners do, easterners are now applying any possible reachable means to maintain their white skins and just turns this fashion into a..... a must.

As an Asian, personally, I never paid any attention to this stuff, whitening your skin or something skin maintenance. Actually, this is nothing but another modern manmade brainchild for which those fshion-carried minds would once more get hassled and worried.

It's so strange that whenever I hear people start to showcase their anxiety over things like this,like...., oh..., I'm becoming black on my face, that's doesn't look good on the picture......, oh..., then, you'd better slather some coordinated skincare products to....... oh..., give me a break.

I presume that too much of explosion to the seething sunlight may cause some skin diseases, and put on "some" lotion doesn't matter that much but as for the case where you use a series of some certain products to "maintain" your skin conditions 24/7, that is..., to me, that's like wear the chemicals all around the clock and this..., just burdens my tiring life.

Passerby
Passerby

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: A participant, a job-lost example~~ Reply with quote

I just now read an article that showcased the fact of how a navy officer lost his job from his country.

He was a high-rank navy officer who had served in the navy for over 10 years and he was recently unemployed because of the reason he went join the protest against the government which has played foul in the election. Because the protest is no longer big news in these days after the climax of the election but still there are some other small-scaled sit-in strikes as well as some other mini-portests going around.

It is said that any participation of the goverment officials would result in severe punishments especially when the protest seems out of sense and only causes trouble. Say, this migth be the case for this anvy officer for the protest went out of control at the dawn break.

Personally, I think it is right to give this officer the sack because he should know how important he is to his fellowmen as he is the officer. and furthermore, he should obey the laws from which he'd been implied the sense of his duties. I'm trampling on the human rights jsut because this is another thing, I wanna focus on his duties and his responsibilities he should carry. I wanna say, protest is the demonstration of your support and your passion for your ideal and deeply believed stronghold, be it your party, your company or your belief so somehow there's a bias in it. And, today, you serve as a government figure, you jsut need to be neutral as much as possible. Or, I think even police cuold devide into different alliances.

Passerby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: