A halloween Murder Mystery dinner

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

japhia

A halloween Murder Mystery dinner

Post by japhia » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:36 am

Hello...

I'm fairly new to The ESL world and i was choosen to host a Halloween Party for over 30-50 people.ages 15-55. Well i'm the only one dong this... So right then one of my ideas was to host a HMMD.. However i don't live in the States and i don't own a credit card... so i can't but the party kits from the internet!!! Which is a bumber... so i was wondering if anyone could help me figure this one out.... And P.S any other Halloween games that you wanna throw my way would be really helpful...

Have a good one and thanks you

JeremyintheCzechRep

Murder Mystery classroom activity that works!

Post by JeremyintheCzechRep » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:15 pm

I use a murder mystery to practise the past continuous. I inform the group that a terrible crime has been committed - someone, the DOS? has been murdered. We have checked CCTV cameras and we know exactly what everyone was doing. I have them written out on strips of paper. I hand out the strips so that everyone gets a piece of paper with things such as: Dinner with Brad Pitt and the Ritz, hike with Madonna in Scotland etc. One person has a piece of paper with: You are the murderer, make up an alibi to tell the others.
Explain that the murder took place at 8p.m. last night. Inform the group that they are to assist police with their enquiries by finding out what the other people were doing at 8p.m. last night. There is then anarchy as everyone is talking at once, tring to find out as much as possible - and trying to work out who the murderer is.
A nice feedback session and the end of the lesson is when the murderer is finally exposed, or stands up undetected.
Have fun!
Jeremy
www.jeremytaylor.eu

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:32 pm

Here are some more ideas.
http://forums.eslcafe.com/teacher/viewt ... =halloween

We would play Hallowe'en Post Morten/Autopsy. The players are blindfolded and you pass around the parts of the corpse.

We gathered all sorts of slimy things from the kitchen and put them in paper bags or covered jars so you couldn't see the contents even when you peeked under the blindfold and then pass them around while telling a scary store about someone who was murdered. Here are her eyes - peeled grapes. Here are her innards - cold cooked spaghetti. Here is her brain - sponge soaked in really ice cold water or brocoli or cauliflower steamed. Here is her leg - turkey leg bone. Here is her finger - hot dog with a small stick in the middle to make it firm. Here is her heart - piece of liver. Here is her hand - a frozen hand made from a kitchen rubber glove filled with ice and frozen or filled with jello and allowed to gel and the rubber glove peeled off. Of course, the lighting was candlelight or scarce light and there was creepy music in the background with lots of pumpkins carbed as jack-o-lanterns and black cats.

Dressing up in a costume was mandatory and you had to make up a small story about your character to tell everyone.