SCRABBLE

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

MaureenQC

SCRABBLE

Post by MaureenQC » Thu May 26, 2016 6:28 pm

Does anyone out there know of an electronic Scrabble game (not dictionary) for use with English students? Something along the lines of the software sold by the Fédération Internationale de Scrabble. They way it is played in our area (in French) is each player has his own board and letter tiles and the moderator uses the software to generate 7 random tiles. The players have approx. three minutes to create a word and place it on their personal board. Then the words are compared to those offered by the software. The most advantageous word in the computer-generated list (which shows the points) is chosen and placed on a gigantic magnetic-tiled board at the front and on each personal board. Each player is awarded points (per the software program) for the word they submitted. In other words, the players are playing against the computer. And so on...

The software I was shown is pretty sophisticated and I wonder if there is an English equivalent out there.

I don’t think the software apps for Iphones would be helpful since there would be 10 ± players in a classroom setting.