What to charge for material creation

<b> Forum for material writers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

socalled

What to charge for material creation

Post by socalled » Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:44 am

I've been asked to create a series of one-day business training courses (telephone skills, office skills) and do some revision work on existing materials. I reckon it will take me a couple of days to put it all together, but I have absolutely no idea how to charge. Two days of wage really doesn't amount to too much, especially since they'll use the materials for years. Can someone give me advice on coming up with a price?

dduck

Post by dduck » Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:10 pm

Do you want repeat business? Do you want / like to do the work? Are you short of work, or suffering from too little time? Do you have a well established rapport with the company. Will they recommend you to others? How big is the company? What's their annual turnover? Is there any competition?

Charge what you think the market will bear. Dare to start high, and negotiate downwards, if you have to.

Iain

sita

Post by sita » Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:25 pm

Hiya!

Take as much as you can.
Check out your competitors.....

Good Luck!

Siân

TKS

What to charge???

Post by TKS » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:07 pm

If it is material they will use again without you teaching it, set it up as a license deal. Charge the full amount for the first year license, and a discount for the 2nd year license. Then offer the lifetime remainder either free or a nominal amount (they most likely won't pay anyway) so you make your money on the first two years only, which is fine. Oh, make paying for the first two years up front and mandatory.

Not sure if this is applicable to your situation though. One thing I will say is people too often sell their talents short in this industry. If you can deliver top quality products, make a decent profit off of them.

Good luck!