classroom poster for IPA

<b>Forum for ideas on how to teach pronunciation </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

simon

classroom poster for IPA

Post by simon » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:17 am

I am looking for a commercially availiable poster for teaching English IPA. Something clear, simple, bright and robust with just the symbols on. Does anyone know where I can buy one?
Thankyou

Luke Zimmermann

Post by Luke Zimmermann » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:35 am

How large would you like it? If you are happy with A3 (the size I have in my classrooms) in black and white, I can send you a copy of a chart I re-organised a little to reflect the point of articulation. Students like it because it helps them see where sounds are produced, at the front, middle or back of the mouth. This chart is part of a video programme I produced which comes with a workbook. For details, see englishwithluke.com.

If you'd like a copy of the chart, I can email it to you and you can blow it up to A3 on the photocopier and then get it laminated it if you like).

relaxandspeak

chart - ipa

Post by relaxandspeak » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:11 pm

The book speak with distinction on page 12, uses the vowel chart effectively.
You can blow it up on a copy machine. Also try your own version of the symbols, ONCE YOU CAN WRITE the symbols, the chart is really not necessary.

Try www.relaxandspeak.com to learn more about ipa symbols.