New Teacher, 6 ELL's

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

kawerner

New Teacher, 6 ELL's

Post by kawerner » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:07 am

hi guys. I am a brand new teacher fresh out of college teaching freshman English. I have 6 English Language Learners (3 Korean, 1 Chinese, 1 German, and 1 Spanish). I have been sucessful so far, but I just recieved a new student, 3 weeks into the school year from Mexico. He has virtually no English skills and I have no experience to use to help me with him.

I do not have many resources, nor can I afford many, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or help you could provide me with this.

He is in an ESL class 2 periods a day, but i know that his subject teachers are struggling with activites for him.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

thank you

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:01 pm

Are you using a particular text? Can you get a Spanish translation so at least he can keep up with the ideas. Can the Spanish student translate for him so he can at least express his ideas?

Senorita Daniels

Post by Senorita Daniels » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:35 pm

Is there any way that the ESL classes can be his only English class this year? The two hours in ESL plus a regular English class might be too much language arts in one day. He could also use a study hall so that he can get tutored in school and keep up with the other subjects.