How the teacher make the introverted students more active

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

pgc0315

How the teacher make the introverted students more active

Post by pgc0315 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:30 am

Hi, guys , i am finding some students who are introverted in their learning styles are reluctant to take part in the activities. so how can the teacher as a group leader make them more active ?
Any suggestions are welcome to discuss this topic.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:32 pm

Class size?

We talked a bit about this at :
http://forums.eslcafe.com/teacher/viewt ... ht=talking

Have you read the Sticky right at the top of this forum on Unmotivated Students - many good ideas.

Have you read Dave's cookbook of ideas?

pgc0315

60students

Post by pgc0315 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:13 pm

Thanks .I am reading the article your recommended
In a class of 60 students

Anyone give more discussion ?

daisy_liu

Post by daisy_liu » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:52 am

I have met this situation when I was an English major in the university. The method that one of my foreign teachers used is very helpful, I think. You know, Chinese students are introverted and they like to keep silent even if they can answer their teacher’s question or fulfill the task their teacher assigns to them. However, in our foreign teacher’s oral class, every one is active. We vie with each other to say something before the class only to get the opportunity to use one coupon (one can use a coupon after he says one time). Our foreign teacher requires us to use at least fifteen coupons one semester or we will fail the class. Although I think this method was so pressing at that time, now I feel it quite useful for forcing us to open our mouth to practice our oral English. Maybe you can have a try. :)

sugar2008

my opinion

Post by sugar2008 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:01 am

If possible, you can ask some very interesting or controversial questions in order to arouse their interests. And also, it is a good way to spend much more time with the students like talking about something after class, especially with those shy students. Besides, it is necessaary to leave enough time for the students to think to make sure they have something to say.