Video as a tool of assesment

<b> Forum on how to use video in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

king of romance

Video as a tool of assesment

Post by king of romance » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:43 pm

I noticed an excellent example that my former teacher at the University of California, Irvine used to do in her assesment of our performance.

She used to give us projects like presentations and while we are presenting our activities she used to video our presentations . At home she watches the video and write down her notes .
Then she gives us her notes about our performances .

I think this is an excellent way of assesment .

Thank you .

Adam Simpson

Post by Adam Simpson » Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:11 am

Such a technique is recognised as an important part of Task Based Learning, as it requires the learners to focus on both accuracy and fluency.

Warn them in advance though! 8)

rubens

video as a tool of assesment

Post by rubens » Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:44 pm

Hi, I’m Rubens. Sorry for my very bad english.
About me this is a good tool of assesment for the teacher, but also the students might use this method to value by oneself the one’s qualities. The students might watch the videotape and we might judge the one’s mistakes and to better oneself.
If you don’t have an television camera you might use an tape recorder.
Bye Rubens.

suzyna

Re: video as a tool of assesment

Post by suzyna » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:10 pm

Hi, I'm a trainee (graduated in history) that is attending the school of specialization for Italian teachers. The activity I have to do this week is to intervene in an English language Internet debate.
Therefore I visited your site end I found it very interesting. What interested me most was the usage of video in class, because I think it is important to teach in an amusing way. When people learn willingly, they will remember things for a long time.
Suzyna

alkin

Post by alkin » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:40 pm

I'm a middle school ESL teacher in the NYC school system W/ 47 languages represented in my classes each day. I use video as an assessment tool for the kids and as a progress report tool for myself...

By videotaping each child on their own tape (supplied by them) at least 4 times through the year, the student (and parents) and I watch their development as a better English speaker and their acquisition of the language (for newcomers). Each child is given a rubric (easy to read and use) based on 1-5 as a score in such areas as "eye contact", "staying on the topic" "I understood myself" "I did not fidget"....etc. They take the tape home, watch it twice or three times (1st to view and freak out at how they sound and look ; second to assess seriously; third, if they want to show it around or just watch themselves). They really take serious note of how "that other person on the tape" looks as a public speaker and sounds as a speaker of English. They also learn how to project their speaking voice to be heard. Students have had great success assesing and improving themselves.

As a progress report, It gives me a great handle on the development of each students speech and speaking skills, their CALPS as we dialogue back and forth on topics covered.

I ususlly do a video segment in conjunction w/a written report on the topic. Example: A culminating unit on inventions and contraptions will involve the students creating a contraption (Rube Goldberg inspired), drawing the plans including a diagram showing simple machines (science); a narrative procedure written to tell how their contraption works and the video segment showing the actual contraption as the student explains. By doing this we have the written and spoken elements of the lesson!

Parents have been known to come on to the tape and send greetings too!

Remember to have a consent form from guardians allowing taping for classroom use.