How to mark and IELTS exam

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

moon unit

How to mark and IELTS exam

Post by moon unit » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi,

I'm starting to give one-on-one IELTS lessons today for the first time. First I want to give my student a practice test to see what level she is at. However I'm unsure of how to make the writing and speaking bits. I've downloaded copies of the band descriptors but is there anything else that could help me out? I want to give her a proper score as she is looking for a 6.5 to get into a PHD course so I really need to see her true level.

Thanks i advance :D

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:42 pm

There is quite a bit on the IELTS test if you go to Search above and type in IELTS.

There is a pre-test on line.

moon unit

Post by moon unit » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:19 pm

Thanks Sally,

But I'm really just looking for advice or tops for marking her writing work. I have the IELTS band descriptions but is there anywhere I can more specific marking guidelines on how to mark and advise her on the writing section?

Thanks

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:40 pm

As I remember, there were quite specific instructions for instructors on how to mark the writing on the web somewhere. I'm sorry I don't have a specific site but if you type in instructor for IELTS or tester for IELTS you may be able to find it.

Otherwise make yourself a check list of good writing from some of the university websites and see if she meets the criteria. Topic sentence, examples, summing up, use of transition words, use of a variety of vocabulary, use of a variety of sentence structures, following a sequence of ideas, and all the little grammar rules of course.

I like Beverly Derewianka's work on how to structure various styles of writing and what is required to be in a piece of work. I used the old IELTS exams for listening and reading to take apart the paragraphs to show the students what is required in academic writing. Of course, each field has its own peculiarities and the students need to know how to take apart articles they recieve so they can figure out their own field.

I also taught Bernie Mohan's structure for setting up the paragraph. You can find his work on the web. You have to get her to say "how" as well as the normal "who, what, where and why". The "why" and the "how" bring the work up to a higher level. I used to get the students to write in their own language to try and get to an academic level and then write in English, not translating but keeping the ideas. It is often hard to be abstract in a language you are just learning.

Timing, of course, is everything in the IELTS so train her to write for the correct amount of time, leaving time to go back and correct small mistakes that she can find. You can make up a check list for her to remember as well in correcting and make an acronym of all the things she has to do. I also used to get them to put down in point form in their own language the ideas they were going to cover at the side of page leaving room to write a couple of sentences in English. I also got them to write on every other line so they could cross out and correct if they didn't have time to erase or copy over.

At the beginning, I used to rewrite the paragraphs the students wrote, correcting any errors but also adding features that would get them more points - changing sentence structure, adding vocabulary and so on. It really seemed to help them to see where they had to go. I would leave a blank if there was a idea missing in the sequence but never changed their original intent. It is much faster to type a correct paragraph then to mark up the student's paper with red marks and seems to be much more positive for them in correcting as well. They seem to believe that the typed paragraph is what they put down after a while and show it without shame to others to get help in expanding and refining their ideas.

I always got them to share the typed paragraphs and had them comment of what they thought was good in each student's writing and it was amazing how the writing improved because there were always one of two good writers that led the way and were good role model. I didn't put their names on the paragraphs though and they didn't have to acknowledge that they wrote any of them. They were often proud of the things they did right though and say, "That was mine." You could get her to critique another student's writing from the web on a similar topic. There are a lot of essays from students around the world on sites that help students write essays.

Just noticed this. The Official IELTS website has a teacher's forum:
https://www.teachers.cambridgeesol.org/ ... /list.page

moon unit

Post by moon unit » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:13 pm

Thanks so much. That's a great help :-)