SPECIFIC SUBJECTS FOR ADULT ENGLISH CONVERSATION

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

MaureenQC

SPECIFIC SUBJECTS FOR ADULT ENGLISH CONVERSATION

Post by MaureenQC » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:56 pm

I have been giving classes in English conversation for some time now. I have separate classes for the different levels. Until now, all my classes have been divided into periods with various games (board, card, etc.), theme-based vocabulary exercises in the form of crosswords, clozes, multiple-choice, etc., audio and video for listening comprehension, role play and free discussions.

Minimal grammar is offered because the students have all had the basic grounding in this. The grammar we have looked at though targets problem areas that are specific to French-speaking students (e.g., when to use make and do, say and tell and other similar situations where they use one word for both functions, prepositions of time and place, etc.).

I am getting more and more requests from my beginners for more vocabulary exercises. I have the material but I am a little at a loss about which subjects I should present, in what order and what would be the most beneficial for them in their future contacts with native English speakers.

Background: These students are middle-aged to senior citizens and travel a fair amount. This means they usually have the basic vocabulary for travelling (making reservations, going through customs, dining out, weather, etc.). Outside of their trips, the only access they have to English is through the media.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this?

sawlor29

Vocabulary Speaking

Post by sawlor29 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:01 am

Hi Maureen,

I just recommended the bottom information on a different way of using vocabulary on another post. I think it may be of help to you as well.

Vocabulary Speaking:
-Whether I use a topic or an article with a main topic, I would make a list of the vocabulary that will be used in the lesson. (the lower the students speaking level, the easier the question structure should be)

-I would then create one question for each vocabulary on the word list. (so if I have 15 vocabulary words, I would make 15 questions)

-I don't worry about matching the vocabulary questions to the topic because the class will have lots of opportunity to discuss the main topic late. (but for lower level, you may want to keep the vocabulary speaking questions relevant to the topic) The purpose is to have the students use the vocabulary word in the question and in their answer.

-you could have students complete all the questions with one partner, then they can rotate partners and repeat the questions again. This will give them even more exposure to the vocabulary learned, as well as keep it interesting since each new partner may use the vocabulary in a different way.

-You could also make the list of vocabulary words and have the students come up with their own vocabulary discussion questions. (try putting the class in groups of 2-3 and assigning 3-5 words per group and put the questions on the board. This will take the pressure off each student having to create all the questions themselves)

PURPOSE: my students usually know the meaning of all the vocabulary. However, creating questions and giving answers using the vocabulary properly was sometimes not as easy for them.

RESULT: students are exposed to the vocabulary in 2 formats (in a question and in an answer), an each partner they have, they are exposed even further.

Hope this helps!

Robbie
www.SSEcoach.com

PS. I also have a site that creates lessons using English TV shows (1-5 minute clips). Each show has some main topic to it, and I created discussion questions around the topic (and also use the vocabulary speaking questions as mentioned above).....my site is also for English learners in Korea, but the 'TEACHER' page can be used by English teachers in any country.