New Teacher with a Serious Problem

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

GreenAmbler

New Teacher with a Serious Problem

Post by GreenAmbler » Tue May 05, 2015 4:05 pm

I just recently graduated with a BA and am a brand-spanking new TESOL instructor. Due to some pretty wild changes at the university where I work, I'm being asked to help design a curriculum for 150+ of our facilities staff (groundskeepers, housekeepers, electricians, plumbers, etc.) who are mostly older adults and all speak Spanish as a first language.

The idea is for them to demonstrate a functional level of proficiency in order to use a new electronic communication system to be implemented by the university. As such, I'd imagine the curriculum should reflect practical learning goals to be used in task-specific circumstances. We have until July 31st to work with the incoming students, so any goals must work within a certain time-frame.

My biggest concern is that I have very little experience to begin with, let alone working with adults. In addition, some of the students we tested demonstrate very low literacy levels in their first language. Are there any more experienced educators out there who might be able to shed some light on the situation--who might have any input on where to begin with designing an entire curriculum for such a specialized group of learners?

Thank you.

KatrinaB88

Adult Education

Post by KatrinaB88 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi

I don't want to seem negative however if I understand you correctly you have been asked to design a curriculum for 150 adult learners of English of an unknown proficiency?? The only slightly useful bit of information that you have been given is that they all speak Spanish as a first language?

I am sorry, but this is just plain daft. I work with adult learners who are native English speakers but have little reading or writing skills. However that said, without knowing more about exactly what you are trying to do, it is impossible to come up with some suggestions that might help. If the adults can't read or write, that's one scenario. If they can a bit, that's another. If they are not literate in their first language, that presents even bigger issues for you. There are 150 of them, they must be divided into proficiency groups obviously first.....

I designed my learning site for tiny tots with no reading or writing knowledge. The idea is they can use the pictures to guide their moves on the screen. Have a look maybe this is something that you could do.

Sorry not to be more helpful!