Teaching Tips and boredom

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

jori

Teaching Tips and boredom

Post by jori » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:26 am

You will find lots of tips on how to teach English on the following website:
teachenglish.org.UK/think/think.shtml

I have a problem. After a few weeks of conversation, I and my students feel bored of talking. Why is this happening and what can I do?

joshua2004

Post by joshua2004 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:23 pm

There are multitudes of reasons why this could be happening. However, the more information you give about your class and background the easier it is to give specific strategies you can try.

I would bring more interesting materials into the classroom. Sometimes I even use silent movies or short movies (5-10 min) which provide stimuli for conversation. If you don't have something to talk about, bring stuff in to spice up the class.

art
posters
music
articles
the list goes on and on

jori

Post by jori » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:35 pm

Those are very good ideas. We will listen to music next week and I will look for posters. Thank you. I'm sorry I didn't mention the details on my problem on boredom.

Actually I never run out of topics to discuss because there are many books in our center. However I feel that after sometime, we all get tired of talking and more talking. I handle one by four classes of university level Koreans. We talk about opinions, experiences, and preferences.

I use a different book every week or every two weeks. I ask, they answer, we discuss. After sometime, I feel that they are tired of talking. I understand that they also talk a lot in their one by one class, and one by eight class or a total of six hours a day.

Do you think we should do things other than talking?

joshua2004

Post by joshua2004 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:03 am

I think talking is fine if it is not contrived. This is were it is important to have really stimulating material. Don't forget movies and watching tv series. When I taught privates, I downloaded commercials. These always provided a lot to talk about.

Another important factor is to remember that students are acquiring English when they are listening and reading, not talking. I believe when we are talking or writing we are concentrating and focusing the language we have acquired; but we are not learning new things. Granted when students are listening to each other speaking, it is an opportunity to acquire by listening; but nothing beats uninterrupted sessions of silent reading or intensive listening.

kikyou921

i'm bored too...

Post by kikyou921 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:11 am

Hi,

i'm new to this board, but i've been teaching for a large english language company in Japan for almost a year now. my school has a pretty strict methodology and books to go with it, and my students seem satisfied enough for the time being, but i am getting burned out and bored. it's difficult to keep my students' movtivations up when my own is slagging. most of my students are very motivated and deserve better than a burned-out teacher who gives them the same boring "by the book" discussion topics over and over again. i feel ready to move beyond the books and use other materials (newspapers, music, etc.)

don't get me wrong, i think my company's method is a pretty good one. but i just find myself getting sick of the textbooks that use the same conversations over and over again! i just want some advice on getting more creative with my current method before i throw my hands up and say i'm in the wrong field.

arigatou gozaimasu!

joshua2004

Post by joshua2004 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:46 pm

Burnout can happen for many different reasons. I am sure I don't know them all. But I know that it can happen if you are so focused on results that you don't leave any room for fun. Can you not add some fun activities between the structured program? I think any program allows for ice breakers and group building activities. Look up these terms on Google.

jori

Post by jori » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:57 am

That is a very important piece of information, Joshua2004. I needed to know that english is acquired by listening and reading, not by talking and writing. I don't remember encountering this in my tesl redaings. Thank you very much. I think English can also be acquired by lessons in grammar, vocabulary. Do you agree?

I think my students have to do less talking and more reading and listening.

joshua2004

Post by joshua2004 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:52 pm

There is a belief that many times students learn more English from the discussion of grammar than from the grammar points themselves. However, anything that helps one to better understand English and therefor make one able to listen and read more English, is good. If grammar lesson helps one better understand the meaning of an essay or vocabulary lessons help you better understand a text or conversation, which I think they do; then it is a good idea. However, grammar and vocabulary are only a two parts of a balanced language program.