how to encourage adult students to learn actively?

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

cinderella927

how to encourage adult students to learn actively?

Post by cinderella927 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:49 am

I'm an inexpericed teacher. this year i began to teach a group of adult students. however, these students are very silent in the classroom. they don't like to answer the questions, unless i call their names. they learn english very passively and just listen. so the atmosphere of classroom is very tedious and boring. how can i encourage them to learn more actively?

tulip927

use activities

Post by tulip927 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:01 am

i am an english teacher in middle school. such situation i have experieced, even though my students are not adult. but they sometimes show their silence and tireness in classroom. usually i would tell them a joke or do some interesting activities. it is useful and helpful. i know adults are really hard nut to crack. because they are older than students in middle school.and they are more mature than youth. so they may not like to play games. in this case, i suggest you to talk with your students, and ask them which mode of teaching they may like better. it can strengthen the communication between you and your students. wish you can solve this problem soon! Good luck!

eslweb

Games for Adults

Post by eslweb » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:26 am

I mostly teach adults and I find that they're never too old to play, its just that the games have to be a little more "mature" i.e. you can't make them sing nursery rhymes, but Karaoke is a different thing...

Anyway, feel free to check out my top 20 fillers which should make your lessons more interesting...

James
http://www.jamesabela.co.uk/