Preparing students for College

<b> Forum for teachers interested in discussing ESL, multiculturalism and teaching </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

bseabolt

Preparing students for College

Post by bseabolt » Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:30 pm

I have only taught ESL for one year, so I am still learning. :? I have a couple of students who are planning to go to a local community college. What can I tell these girls to expect when they leave high school and start at a local community college. Will they get credit for ESL classes? Will the ESL classes be helpful for them? Will they have extra help available? What will the curriculum be like?

Jan

Post by Jan » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:17 pm

Hello,
Welcome to the TX teacher forum. As far as taking ESL courses and receiving college credit. I believe most universities do not accept the hours from the ESL courses. If they do, it would be for a limited number of hours.

I believe the ESL classes would be useful, if the students' TOEFL scores were low. Some college ESL classes prepare students for their freshmen English classes. Most students who enroll in college ESL programs do so because they are not full admitted to the university as a result of low TOEFL scores....

Hope this helps! We hope you will post more on this board :D