To TEFL or not to TEFL???

<b> Forum for the announcement of important TESL/TEFL items and events </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

elijah

To TEFL or not to TEFL???

Post by elijah » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:49 pm

Hi,

I've taught English in Peru and Guatemala and have a B.A. In the past I've always just showed up to a school where I was travelling and there was no trouble getting hired on the spot. However, I would potentially like to arrange a position beforehand this time, and as I read the International Job Board I notice that almost all of the jobs ask for a TEFL or CELTA or some sort of license as well as a B.A. On the other hand, I've read several posts that say all you need is a BA to teach most places in the world.

Should I get a TEFL? From where? Should I just apply to where I want to go without a TEFL? Can someone give me some ideas about this?

Thanks

Head Master

To TEFL or not to TEFL

Post by Head Master » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:47 pm

Having a TEFL certificate can help you land a job.

Gaining knowledge and skills while taking the course can be useful.

I believe that education is important.

Please visit our site: www.TEFLofCanada.com

Compare us with others and choose carefully.

Sarah1027

question for you

Post by Sarah1027 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:33 pm

Hi. Sorry I don't have advice for you but I'm wondering if instead you can give me some advice on teaching in Guatemala? What city/town were you in? I'm looking to teach in Antigua after taking a TEFL course. Good experience? Thanks.

concrete

Post by concrete » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:19 pm

I think primarily it depends where you want to teach next. If you want to teach in a country where there is more competition for tfl jobs then you may need to invest in a course. However, in many countries - China for example - job posts may specify that you need it but imho. this is merely in order for the schools to keep up appearances and convey greater prestige. In reality, most of the time a degree is enough (and sometimes you don't even need this..!).

Maybe you could apply for a couple of jobs in your intended country in order to test the water - then you can go from here. Of course you could always just do a course to gain greater experience and/or probably earn a better wage. Personally I'd love to do the course but it's just too plain expensive for me at the moment.

myi-to-i

Post by myi-to-i » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:31 am

Hi all,

My name is Ruth and I am from i-to-i which is a company promoting volunteering and travel. We have a number of paid teaching placements which I thought you might be interested in as a TEFL course is included. As you don't already have a TEFL qualification, you could enrol on a PTP (Paid Teaching Placement) which would give you an i-to-i Online Essential TEFL qualification, a guaranteed salaried teaching job, arranged accommodation, airport pick-up and in-cpountry orientation and advice and guidance from experienced professionals.

This option would therefore allow you to get a qualification and more experience at the same time.

Hope this helps,

Ruth

vcautin

Post by vcautin » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:12 pm

:shock:
I would advise you to go for a CELTA, here in Chile they're more prestigious.
But if you're really serious about TEFL there's a Certificate program at funiber www.funiber.org
I'm doing a MATEFL there and it is a serious organization.

Eric18

Doesn't it depend on your longterm goals?

Post by Eric18 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:19 am

The answer, it seems to me, depends on your longterm goals. Doesn't it?

Linda T.

Which is most important: Experience, BA, TEFL Certificate

Post by Linda T. » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:05 pm

I am not in the position of hiring teachers, but, as someone with a TEFL Certificate, some experience teaching ESL who is currently working on a BA, I would say that experience is the most important of the 3 by far. For someone without experience, a TEFL certificate is the next best thing because during your training you have practice teaching sessions. The only reason I can think of that an employer might require an experienced teacher with a BA to have a TEFL certificate is if they advertize to prospective students that their teachers all have TEFL certificates. Even then, I'm not so sure they'd be inflexible for an experienced teacher with a track record of teaching in foreign countries.

Since the original post to this site was posted ages ago, if the original poster is still around, I'm curious as to whether they decided to get the certificate or not and what their opinion on the matter is now in hindsight.

eltgames

Get certified

Post by eltgames » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:28 pm

I have frequently been in the position of hiring teachers and I would never consider someone who didn't have either the RSA prep cert or the Trinity equivalent. The organizations that sell 'alternative' certificates don't mention the fact that most potential employers don't recognise them. If you are going to pay for a course, make it the RSA course.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:25 pm

Just for anyone unfamiliar with the "RSA prep cert":
History
The current Cambridge CELTA replaced the RSA/Cambridge CELTA in 2001. In 1996, RSA/Cambridge CELTA replaced the RSA/Cambridge CTEFLA (the Certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language to Adults)—this was jointly administered by the RSA and UCLES. The RSA/Cambridge CTEFLA replaced the RSA Certificate in 1985.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CELTA

You are a dinosaur, eltgames! A dinosaur! :lol: :wink: :P :D